PDA

View Full Version : Swaping interior rearview mirrors?

junklar
04-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi all,

I have noticed jstrat do this on his 94 car. I wanted to know if it is easy to install the autodimming interior rearview mirror onto my 95 c280? Is it a straight swap or are there other things that I need to buy/consider before doing this?

Also, what is the purpose of the green and red light on the rearview mirror?

mbsickness
04-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes it is possible to install the autodimming mirror as I did it on my 94 C280. The most difficult part is the wiring as you have to tap into a switched 12V source. There are some features that the factory installed mirror will perform such as turning off the autodimm when you open the door. I simply tapped into the power supplylin of the sunroof and that was it. The red and green lights are for cars with the IR remote alarm.

martattack
04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I also installed an autodimming HomeLink mirror in my 94 C280. It was very straightforward... Like mbsickness said, just tap into a switched 12v from the sunroof panel area and you should be all set. My unit does not have the red/green though, but it does have the garage door opener.

junklar
04-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
My unit does not have the red/green though, but it does have the garage door opener.

Thanks for the reply guys.

How does the programming work for the unit with the garage door opener? I've seen the garage door opener on the sunvisor, but not on the rearview mirror. Do you remember the year of the car which you pulled the rearview mirror from?

Does the garage door opener mirror look like the one on this page? (7th picture on that page)

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11461&perpage=15&highlight=interior&pagenumber=2

I think these also have a microphone for the built-in phone. Boominbenz does yours have this?

martattack
04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Programming the garage door opener just entails holding down the buttons for a few seconds.. I can get you the instructions if you need. It was pulled from a 98. I got it off of an eBay auction for $30 (yes, I know.. an absolute steal!) The mirror looks just like the one int he picture and yes, it does have the microphone built in. To fill the hole, I found a black plastic plug from a local hardware store that fit and looks nice.

junklar
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
I got it off of an eBay auction for $30 (yes, I know.. an absolute steal!)

Daaamn, now that's a deal right there. I'm going to try to find one from a junkyard because my rearview's lever is broken.

So, how do I remove the rearview mirror? I tried pushing it towards the windshield, and I tried pulling it down that didn't work either. I didn't want to break it so I did it slowly but the mirror didn't budge. Help!

And thanks for the info boominbenz. I would definitely want the one that you have, and hopefully I could get a good price!

martattack
04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Just pull down really hard.. It'll go. It has spring-loaded clips that hold it in place... very strong springs.

junklar
04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
To tap into the 12v from the sunroof panel area would I be able to access it with only the mirror is removed?

xvvvz
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
There is a video up on YouTube (or was) showing how to pop it down. See if a search there will bring it up (something like w202 and mirror). Be careful though, isn't the pop out method valid just for the newer mirrors without the red and green lights but not for the older ones like you probably have in your 95 with the lights on the mirror? It seems I saw in WIS that the older ones didn't just pop out. Maybe I am remember wrong but I just didn't want you destroying things so I thought I would mention it.

NW_Merc
04-06-2008, 02:22 AM
I've added an autodim RVM to my 202 and it isnt a simple pull as hard as you can method. You need to twist the mirror as well as pulling down, it is a very tight fit. Don't pull holding onto the mirror as it will come off in your hand. You need to twist from the mirror base downwards

junklar
04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I removed the rear view mirror with no problems twice, and put it back on.

So, how does the dome light come off to tap into the 12v? I removed the left trim piece but I didn't see any screws.