PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Transmission Pan Magnet

xvvvz
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
For those who are going to change their transmission fluid and who want to add a transmission magnet to the pan, I thought I would pass this along.

The one that is displayed in the EPC shows a picture of a square magnet but the original part number is superseded by another part number. When they ordered it in for me via the new part number, the new part number resulted in a round washer-like magnet instead of the square one that fit into the pan's square indentation. The round washer magnet probably works fine (although I don't see how it would fit in any indentations in the pan) but I could buy one of those at the hardware store for a couple of bucks vs. $15 at the stealership. They reordered the part under A 220 271 00 98 and it actually costs much less ($8-ish).

I just thought it might be helpful for others to know what to expect given the two types of parts. It would have saved me 1 week and an extra trip to the stealership.

Here is what the square magnet looks like:

http://www.betterscanning.com/p/mbmagnet.jpg

timmyj51
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Do you really need a magnet when you've got a filter?

Fred Hayward
04-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by timmyj51
Do you really need a magnet when you've got a filter? Better to be Safe Than Sorry !!

SLCPUNK
04-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Do you really need a magnet when you've got a filter?

Plenty of cars have both.

Ashkan's C280
04-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks! will be getting this for sure

timmyj51
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SLCPUNK
Plenty of cars have both.

But do you NEED both? Anyone have a magnet in their
tranny pan? Does it actually collect a noticeable amount of metal particles?

xvvvz
04-13-2008, 12:01 PM
After spending $145 for the fluid, filter and gasket, the price for a magnet seems like it should be a cheap gamble that it might help. My thinking was that anything which can possibly stop crap before_it_even_gets to the main filter is a good idea, especially if it is a *relatively* large piece of whatever. That filter has been in there for 9 years and 33k miles, so I am guessing some super-fine metal particles eventually have cycled through the filter. If they had gotten stuck to the magnet, then they wouldn't have had the chance.

As I said, I am hoping it is a relatively cheap gamble on a preventative measure. Besides, if Mercedes went to the trouble to design a specific magnet, they must feel it has some redeeming value ;).

timmyj51
04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
After spending $145 for the fluid, filter and gasket, the price for a magnet seems like it should be a cheap gamble that it might help. My thinking was that anything which can possibly stop crap before_it_even_gets to the main filter is a good idea, especially if it is a *relatively* large piece of whatever. That filter has been in there for 9 years and 33k miles, so I am guessing some super-fine metal particles eventually have cycled through the filter. If they had gotten stuck to the magnet, then they wouldn't have had the chance.

As I said, I am hoping it is a relatively cheap gamble on a preventative measure. Besides, if Mercedes went to the trouble to design a specific magnet, they must feel it has some redeeming value ;).

Still like to hear from someone who's actually HAD a magnet
in his tranny pan.

SLCPUNK
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Still like to hear from someone who's actually HAD a magnet
in his tranny pan.

LOL, what is the big deal with you and this magnet?

If it provides more security for your transmission, and doesn't harm it, who cares?

unHookt
04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
That's the whole point, I think. Does it actually provide more security?

V1Dreamer
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
the magnet in the tranny pan doesnt really collect much metal.
out of the 100's of tranny services ive done at work. ive only seen one with metal particles. and that car had serious problems because the odometer was reading 210,000 miles and the trans was never serviced.
so before the stupid magnet catches anything, youll know your transmission is taking a crap.
most of the crap thats stuck on the magnets is band material.
if you do your trans services no later than 60k. you shouldent need a magnet in the pan.

IMO, prevention is better than reaction.

omegabenz
04-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Just to clarify,

A 220 271 00 98 is the rectangular magnet correct?

What is the superceded number to the circular magnet?

Sometimes it is hard to order old numbers.

xvvvz
04-18-2008, 06:17 AM
"A 220 271 00 98" was on the bag for the one they sold to me. You will have to look up the data in the EPC to find the alternate numbers.