PDA

View Full Version : check engine light

Logic
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
i did some searching before i decided to make a new trend. on the way home from work i started the car sat for about a 1minute and took off slowly from a parking lot. as soon as i started to slow for a stop my check engine light went on. at the stop i listened for any weird sounds or anything out of the ordinary. everything was fine . so i got home disconnected the battery for a minute and the engine light reset. my question is since it reset will the error code be there still? if so i can check it at work tomarrow with my friends ethos obdII check tool.

predrag1
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
i heard that if u disconnect the battery with the light on, ull need to drive for around 70-80 miles, during that time it wont come back on but after that if it does then its something

RemoLexi
04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
its already stored the code.

Logic
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by predrag1
i heard that if u disconnect the battery with the light on, ull need to drive for around 70-80 miles, during that time it wont come back on but after that if it does then its something
i was trying to understand what you said? are you saying if i drive for 70 plus miles and it doesn't come back on then there isn't nothing wrong? but with in that time if it does then there is something wrong? i know the last time it was my MAF sensor and replaced that .
anyways ill check it tomarrow on the test tool thanks for your ideas
:cool:

jnolte
04-15-2008, 10:00 PM
the code is stored

JRE320
04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Even it's gone the check engine light will come on again later.
Have it check with a mechanic so you'll find out what's wrong with it.

Logic
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by JRE320
Even it's gone the check engine light will come on again later.
Have it check with a mechanic so you'll find out what's wrong with it.
well to find out it was a 89.00 valve that goes to the intake. i was told this was the cheap fix and the car passed but he was also telling me it could be the bypass valve too:confused: so if my check engine light goes on again i might have to replace that. this valve that was replaced i was told it was 80% clogged and is located close to another valve that allows air to flow one way and he was going to replace that but they didn't have them in stock. the only thing this valve does at start is to warm up the engine or something so i m hoping for the best since that bypass runs about 700.00. anyways replaced the belts since they were shot too. a easy 488.00 with a 10% coupon i had:(