PDA

View Full Version : Very odd A/C problem...

Sulaco
04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, it's that time of the year. Warm weather is returning and we all start noticing things about our cars that the winter cold either hid from us (or kept us from bothering in the first place).

My A/C is doing something odd, as the topic would imply. My center vents are completely out, but that's not why I'm here (I know, it's the vacuum behind the dash).

My AC blows cold air no problem, but when I hit the accelerator, the fan motor gives up almost entirely. If I'm at idle or cruising, she blows as hard as she wants. But a few seconds after I (or the cruise control) give it ANY throttle, the AC drops in fan-speed by about 90%. Sometimes it stops blowing entirely...

Very hot summer expected, and this is driving me insane.

Also, I'm willing to give $300 to anyone with a sunroof track assembly. My motor, wire, cable, switch, and glass are all good. Literally every other part needs to be replaced. I get wet everytime it rains...

Forces me to have to plan my dates around the weather...

Sulaco
04-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Self pushbutton diagnostic returns this:
Intermittent codes:
Most of those indicate electromagnetic clutch on AC compressor. One indicates aux. pump. One indicates switchover valve block. Another indicates refridgerant pressure sensor.

Odd, because there's never a problem with the AC blowing COLD air. It's always icy cold. But not blowing very hard when I accelerate!

junklar
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Sulaco, you probably switched the vacuum lines that are under the hood towards the left side when looking at the car from the front..

stox
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
You have a vacuum problem. The A/C is designed to cutout when engine vacuum is low. Have fun, vacuum issues in a MB are a pain in the ass.

Sulaco
04-29-2008, 05:27 AM
Is the vacuum system for the A/C linked to the box in the trunk? I've spotted two problems with that system as it is. The lock on one of the rear doors has a leak, as well as the trunk lock. I can hear them hissing when locking/unlocking the door. Also, alot of the time the vacuum in the trunk runs and runs. It often spurs a question from new passengers.

I just tell them my car has it's own cell phone that it never answers. It's kind of a dick.

Edit:

I did do the head gasket job last year. So it's entirely possible that I got something switched around under there. I took pics to review so that upon reassembly I would be less likely to do things like that. Any other M104 owners out there want to take a pic of their proper setup (once you remove that little black cover with the star on it, that is)?

xvvvz
04-29-2008, 06:10 AM
I would get the leak fixed soon or you will burn out the $$ pump in the trunk.

Sulaco
05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
is it most likely that the vacuum leak causing all the problems is in the dash? please say no :(