PDA

View Full Version : pre-OBD II adapter

timmyj51
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Anyone know where you can buy (either retail or through the internet) the adapter cable that allows you
to plug OBD II hand held scanners into pre-1996 under-dash diagnostic ports to read check engine codes?

Denlasoul
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
If it's for a W202 in the US, then you can just use the OBDII scanner.

timmyj51
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
No you can't. The plug-in for the OBD II scanner
won't fit in the under-dash port for pre-OBD II
cars (at least it won't for my '95 C220). Have to
attach an adaptor cable to the scanner so it'll fit
into these ports.

strictlyspeakin
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
How odd.

Euro version maybe??? Really don't know.

How many pins does your port have?

The obd2 fits my 94 C220.

Denlasoul
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I've seen a bunch of pre updated 1994 202's that have used OBDII readers.

Something strange with this one.

1995c280
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
do you have the connector facing the right way. maybe you are trying to plug it in backwards.

Jason

timmyj51
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I stand corrected. Found out that an OBD II
scanner WILL fit into my diagnostic socket. Thought
OBD II systems were only outfitted in post '96
cars but it seems MB must have also outfitted some of
the cars they manufactured late in '95 with it.

ncd
05-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by timmyj51
I stand corrected. Found out that an OBD II
scanner WILL fit into my diagnostic socket. Thought
OBD II systems were only outfitted in post '96
cars but it seems MB must have also outfitted some of
the cars they manufactured late in '95 with it.
this little chest nut again!!!
LOL..
Well yea post 96 you get a round ODB connector
2000+ Proper ALDL Connector
my car which happens to be 2001 STILL got a freaking round ODB connector.. but i suppose its the new ODB standard or something !! wooot
:confused:

xvvvz
05-09-2008, 06:21 AM
I think you are looking in the wrong place and confusing the 38 pin connector under the hood with the OBD II diagnostic connector in the cabin?

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 07:49 AM
I have a Davis CarChip OBD2 scanner that I have used on other cars.

I heard that you could buy an adapter for the 38 pin socket under the hood that converts to the DB9 OBD2 interface, so I bought it.
I was not able to read any codes or retrieve any data with that. Later that day I finally discovered the OBD2 style port just above the gas pedal. ( DUH ) My results were still the same. It sees that it is connected, but no data or codes. ( The MIL is on right now and the car runs very rough )

I'm trying to find an OBD2 scan tool that will work with this car... its a 1994 C280 with 2.8L IL6. If anyone knows of one that is compatible, please let me know. I can find some that claim to work with CAN systems, but they never claim to support a 1994 model, so I dont want to just buy and try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

xvvvz
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
If I remember right, doesn't the 94 have some sort of hybrid system since OBD II required until later? I am pretty sure I have seen multiple posts about the 95 being compatible even though it might not have been required yet. I would do some searching over at Benzworld.

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
If I remember right, doesn't the 94 have some sort of hybrid system since OBD II required until later? I am pretty sure I have seen multiple posts about the 95 being compatible even though it might not have been required yet. I would do some searching over at Benzworld.

I'm still searching... thanks for the response. Beyond what I can read on Alldata DIY and on the net, I have no other sources of information. I just sent an email to a guy who runs a 202 site... maybe he will have the time to help me out.

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Just a heads up...

Went to Autozone and they were able to read the code. It was P0101, bad MAS reading. They ordered me one that is remanufactured for $158... it will be here in a couple of days.

Turns out my scan tool just doesnt work with a CAN network... there is some ISO spec that covers that or something. They used at Autozone an "Elite" scantool from Actron.

Looks like my problem will soon be solved.

Good luck.

PS Here's a good link I found. The guy who runs it actually wrote me back the same day with some advice about scan tools. What a first class guy!

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howtos.html

xvvvz
06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Since you are going rebuilt, you might check out Germanstar.net for an MAF insert (just the probe insert, not the tube which never needs replacing anyway unless some extraordinary happened to it). There has been some question as to whether they sell new or rebuilt, but even if it is rebuilt that is what you were buying anyway and last I checked they were $110.

xvvvz
06-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Use part of the money you save to buy a $14 set of hollowed out star Trox SAFETY bits at Ace Hardware (in little red rubber square keeper thing). These are good to have around for all kinds of repairs. You could also use vice grips to get the screws out. Do a search here of the archives for more information.

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Since you are going rebuilt, you might check out Germanstar.net for an MAF insert (just the probe insert, not the tube which never needs replacing anyway unless some extraordinary happened to it). There has been some question as to whether they sell new or rebuilt, but even if it is rebuilt that is what you were buying anyway and last I checked they were $110.

Thanks for pointing that site out... I checked the price there but their MAS inserts are for 1997 and up C280s according to whats written there. Anyway, the other one is only 20-30 bucks more and its on its way in just a couple of days which will make my wife happy. I dont mind spending a bit at that Autozone because I do a lot of business there anyway and they are very supportive.

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Use part of the money you save to buy a $14 set of hollowed out star Trox SAFETY bits at Ace Hardware (in little red rubber square keeper thing). These are good to have around for all kinds of repairs. You could also use vice grips to get the screws out. Do a search here of the archives for more information.

I have the Torx bits... GM uses them too and I have 3 GMs.

Denlasoul
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by nick_nolastname
PS Here's a good link I found. The guy who runs it actually wrote me back the same day with some advice about scan tools. What a first class guy!

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howtos.html

aka BoominBenz a fellow Moderator on this board. Definitely top notch person.

nick_nolastname
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
aka BoominBenz a fellow Moderator on this board. Definitely top notch person.

LOL!

Small world.

He has my gratitude.

aliitlerusty
06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I have an early 1994 C220 and it has an OBD II port. I use it all the time to read and reset the engine codes. It allows you to read real time and stored info. US Model.