PDA

View Full Version : ASAP Help!

1sickC
05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a 1999 c280 sport with an H&R Cupkit. Heres the problem-
My engine oil pan was hitting my sway bar. Mechanic recommended replacing Motor Mounts. Done. Then the sway bar still hit. Mechanic believes that maybe the old-update sway bar is on (previous owner accident). So I replace the swaybar with an H&R sway bar from EVOSport. However, the swaybar still hits the oil pan. I think that there must be some reasonable explaination to this other that "the car is to low" which is what the mechanic says now. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be missing? It seems like if the brackets that hold on the swaybar where longer, then it would clear the oil pan.....(installed new brackets) Or maybe the cupkit was installed wrong??? One interesting note is that I remember the car being too low when they installed the cupkit, so I think they installed a #4 pad AND another pad. Could that be the problem??? Also is anyone else has a cupkit, do you notice considerable body roll or is it stiff on the highway during quick lane changes? Seems like there is something missing....
If anyone has an idea please help!! (Shop now doing work is a respectable mercedes shop)

NISMOPOWERED
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
It might be that the car didn't get fixed right after the accident. The part of the sway bar that runs between the body mounts only twists, it doesn't move up or down. could the sway bar be on backwards?

1sickC
05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I think that the car may not have been fixed right. But it seems like it needs a piece that is missing. The bar hits the oil pan bolts. So it needs to be positioned an inch down and maybe an inch forward. It doesnt make sense. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1sickC
05-02-2008, 09:05 AM
can anyone think of a part that positions the bar forward and down? Right now there is the bar, held on by the cheap looking brackets, then to the frame....

Cru328prod
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
whats "book" hours on motor mounts?

NISMOPOWERED
05-02-2008, 05:09 PM
book on mounts is 3.0hrs

1 Remove bracket (22b)
2 Remove bracket (21b)

NOTE: Installation: Due to the preload of the bracket (21b), first install the hexagon socket bolt (21h)

3 Remove spring leaf swivelling lever (21) and mounting plate (21c)
CAUTION:

Comply with spring leaf swivelling lever assignment
The spring leaf swivelling lever (21) differs on the left and right and is mounted differently depending on the model.
4 Remove torsion bar (10)

NOTE: Installation: Align torsion bar (10)

5 Pull rubber mounts (21a, 22a) off torsion bar (10)
6 Install in reverse sequence

NISMOPOWERED
05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z12/zxhundred/106075095.gif

1sickC
05-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks bro, So if I show this to my mechanic they should get it? That should be the problem? I dont understand why they dont know this...

Maybe should start looking for a new shop.

1sickC
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Well the problem has been fixed. H&R sent a SWAY BAR INFO page with the sway bar I purchased, that clearly states to install the bar with the part number facing down. Turns out that it needs the numbers facing up. So now it fits perfect. Oh and it seems to have less body roll on during quick lane changes so I recommend it if you ever need to replace yours.