PDA

View Full Version : Transmission DONE

rman
05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
today my tranny just gave up the ghost.

was slamming hard upon stopping, 2-1

then it just started vibrating like crazy. Put it in P, was one NOISY sonofabitch.

Makes a horrible, horrible grinding if driving is attempted. Had to have it towed home, even putting it in reverse to get it in the garage was horrific.

When I start it, and it's in Park, it makes a horrible noise.

Any ideas? And how much am I looking at paying? I checked out the trolleyauto link that was posted in the past but they didn't have anything for me...

yusuke280
05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
hoooooly, a full brand spanking new transmission is a fortune!!! :(

good luck! hope ull find a second handed one

Nelson Lago
05-17-2008, 05:23 PM
WOW the same exact thing happened to me and i mean that same exact thing. Its like hearing a replay of that special day. your getting a new tranny congratulations.

O ya don't forget to reply to this post http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7639

predrag1
05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
something weird has been happening to my car when i shift from reverse into drive and step onto gas

sory I hope im not hijacking but since this is about transmission, I wanted to ask

it feels like my car peels out but its a lil to shaky, only happens for like a second or two after I shift from R to D and step onto it, not every time tho

ever had that>?

yusuke280
05-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by predrag1
something weird has been happening to my car when i shift from reverse into drive and step onto gas

sory I hope im not hijacking but since this is about transmission, I wanted to ask

it feels like my car peels out but its a lil to shaky, only happens for like a second or two after I shift from R to D and step onto it, not every time tho

ever had that>?

do you mean if you shift straight to R (from) D, and without letting it settle, it will sort of hesitate/choke? i mean in a very light way..

if so, i have the same problem too.
i don't force my tranny these days, i take it real easy. everytime i put it in gear, i'll give it a few seconds to settle down then go.

OCKlasse
05-17-2008, 06:34 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

xvvvz
05-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Or do you mean it is like you press the accelerator and the engine speed starts to rise but the rear wheels don't immediately get power so it is almost like the drivetrain slips for a second but then catches?

yusuke280
05-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
Or do you mean it is like you press the accelerator and the engine speed starts to rise but the rear wheels don't immediately get power so it is almost like the drivetrain slips for a second but then catches?

yes, only when i put it in R (from D)

rman
05-18-2008, 06:27 AM
wow, this thread took another direction QUICK. thanks guys

Proven Guilty
05-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rman
wow, this thread took another direction QUICK. thanks guys

Armand I really wish I could have given you the trans from my C230K bro before I traded that bitch in. The EXACT same thing happened to my transmission, and I actually lost my park trans brake (in park the car would still lurch forward if you attempted to start it up).

The guy John that rebuilt my trans owns a shop in costa mesa called Coast MBZ repair, and he sent my trans off to a shop to have it rebuilt for a guaranteed for 400hp because of all the crazy stuff I had going on with it.

If you're into DIY, I can get info on where to take your trans to have yours rebuilt by the same guy if you wanted it to last forever. I paid him to R&R mine because I was living in an apartment at the time so I can't tell you what all is involved with it to be honest.

He said the root cause if it was some type of spring for gear selection and it also somehow related to the TCU knowing which gear you were in. If you hear chunks, it's definately LUNCHED so your best bet is to drop the serious coin to have yours rebuilt because I personally don't trust used drivetrain parts.

benzonline
05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
I actually lost my park trans brake (in park the car would still lurch forward if you attempted to start it up).
parts.

What does this mean? I see this happening sometimes on my 230K...start the car and it kind of nudges forward and makes a slight clunk when it stops in place. Perhaps the incline wasnt enough to lock the tranny depending on where I parked?

Cru328prod
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
call up LKQ....i got 1 for $500

do you even have fluid?

check your linkage & look for leaks

rman
05-19-2008, 07:24 AM
thanks chris.... if you could shoot me a PM with that info that'd be great.

really what i'm looking for is a low-cost solution with a (preferrably transferable) warranty so I can sell the car.

Cru328prod
05-19-2008, 07:27 AM
me or proven?

rman
05-19-2008, 09:25 AM
your name is chris too? i meant proven, sorry

jnolte
05-19-2008, 10:11 AM
when my differential went south it did the same thing

rman
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
when my differential went south it did the same thing

Even when in Park?

I thought about the differential also, since when it first happened i popped it in neutral and it stopped. But now when starting, there is a grind even in park.

Maybe I get lucky and jack up the car to find the linkage disconnected or broken. I don't know. I'm not all too savvy with transmissions so it's a crapshoot.

My CC is maxed out, and I'm not too sure if I can pull out a personal loan for this.

enawazh
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
dude just get a 2jz/1jz and drop that shit in there.. srsly

rman
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
talked to a couple euro shops and tranny shops today.

all said the same thing. a $40 dollar bearing went out and took out thousands of dollars of other parts along with it, i.e. the planetary-discombulator.

probably going to get a used tranny and drop it in there or bring it to a shop and have them drop it in for me. We shall see.

jnolte
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Even when in Park?

I thought about the differential also, since when it first happened i popped it in neutral and it stopped. But now when starting, there is a grind even in park.

Maybe I get lucky and jack up the car to find the linkage disconnected or broken. I don't know. I'm not all too savvy with transmissions so it's a crapshoot.

My CC is maxed out, and I'm not too sure if I can pull out a personal loan for this.

yes even in park, my car wouldn't even move anywhere

rman
05-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
yes even in park, my car wouldn't even move anywhere

but make grinding sounds even while the differential isn't moving?

i'm banking on the bearing going out and taking out the planetary gears since that's what most european shops are saying it sounds like by my description

Proven Guilty
05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
thanks chris.... if you could shoot me a PM with that info that'd be great.

really what i'm looking for is a low-cost solution with a (preferrably transferable) warranty so I can sell the car.

my option is difinately not for you then lol. the trans rebuild for my project was $3,400 and i've still got an itemized parts list haha.

good luck man, don't forget the lube :(

OCKlasse
05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I wonder if that $40 bearing can be replaced prematurely are preventive maintenance...

Proven Guilty
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I wonder if that $40 bearing can be replaced prematurely are preventive maintenance...

Mine was a suspected spring that was a "common failure" that was known in the C230K and the SLK230K to lunch the transmission. If you wanted to get your car checked out by my guy - look up John at Coast MBZ on paularino ave between bristol and baker. Really really nice and honest indy shop that went the extra mile to gain my trust.

OCKlasse
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
Mine was a suspected spring that was a "common failure" that was known in the C230K and the SLK230K to lunch the transmission. If you wanted to get your car checked out by my guy - look up John at Coast MBZ on paularino ave between bristol and baker. Really really nice and honest indy shop that went the extra mile to gain my trust.

Thanks Chris...I'm almost at 100K and want to do a lot of preemptive maintenance :o

benzonline
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Whats the name of this spring to be looked at?

RemoLexi
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
yep, that sounds like the trans is Kaput! I see at least one car like that a week.

rebuilding it is a very costly thing, there is too many updates. see if you can swap the one from a 2000' model. convert your car to tiptronic.

rman
05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
yep, that sounds like the trans is Kaput! I see at least one car like that a week.

rebuilding it is a very costly thing, there is too many updates. see if you can swap the one from a 2000' model. convert your car to tiptronic.

i'll look for the newer 2000 tranny.... anyone know if the dodge W5A580 will bolt right up? i found a brand new one for $1000. its the same 722.6 mbz tranny but im wondering if the bellhousings and bolt patterns are the same

rman
05-23-2008, 01:13 AM
anyone?

xvvvz
05-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Rman, be like this guy and fix it in your kitchen! He is now even advertising on Craigslist that he will fix 722.6xx transmissions for others for $900!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1374686-99-230-transmission-failure.html

rman
08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
wow 3 months.

got it back on tuesday 8/19 with a new tranny. Feels pretty crazy since i've been driving my f150 for the past 3 months. I'm a lot lower and slower now!

digital2620
08-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm beginning to feeling those transmission pains.

I have the same clunk when the tranny shifts down when decelerating to a stop. Doesn't happen all the time but makes my skin crawl everytime I hear the clunk.

Rman, what was the final bill?

benzonline
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
What is the name of the bearing to be changed to prevent lunching this whole POS?