PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean the MAF / Mass Airflow Sensor

xvvvz
05-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Newbies, here is a good thread with pictures describing the cleaning of an MAF sensor. If you have never cleaned one, you ought to take a look to make sure you are doing it right. I always just flooded those two chambers but didn't know they were sealed enough that you could cover the inlet and shake.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1375883-proper-maf-cleaning.html

BTW, if you have a Kompressor engine in your w202, the R170 forum has some great information on dealing with the 2.3L Kompressor engine. Definitely search the archives there before posting though. Bazzle, Buelwinkle, Linh, and some of the other people have put up some real informative threads.

Keywords for search engine: MAF mass airflow sensor clean cleaning dirty replacement bad defective

Proven Guilty
05-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Yep, I'd definately have to agree. Buelwinkle from that forum is actually the first person to work with ASP to create the M111 pulley kit, and Linh created the 98-99 c-class pulley kit's "tuning kit". he discovered the need for colder temp spark plugs, maf relocation and upgraded fuel preassure regulator to balance it out.

i've honestly never had success with MAF cleaning though, and realized how pointless the K&N filters really were for performance. Even new out of the box they're borderline over-oiled and seemed to foul out my sensor within a single month every time.

Great post xvvvz :)

dshenberger
05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I figure that if I have to spend $250 for an MAF every 80,000 miles - it isn't a big deal.