PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Back Window Deck

xvvvz
05-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I think I have finally found a solution for a strange rear deck rattle that has been driving me crazy and thought I would post it here in case it might help others.

There has been a vibration rattle coming from the rear window deck area for about a month. It just started suddenly. I thought the folding rear seats might not be locked-in but they did not pull forward, the trunk handles were in the closed position and the little red 'unlocked' indicators had not popped up out of the deck. I started pounding around on the deck to try to isolate the sound. It seemed to be coming from the back area underneath the retractable sunscreen for the back window (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12285&highlight=rear+window+shade), but in the end this was wrong. Somehow, the passenger side seat cable had actually become unlocked (again though, the handle was in the locked position, the indicator was not showing and the seat was still latched). Just for grins, I pulled the handle and after removing the cable slack it engaged to release the lock. A quick up and down of the seat before slamming to relock seems to have cured the issue. Bottom line, if you have an odd rattle back there and even though it seems the seats are locked, try relocking them. I wish I would have thought of this a month ago!

Search function aids: rear window deck seat shade rattle noise rattling vibration

Denlasoul
05-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
Search function aids: rear window deck seat shade rattle noise rattling vibration

Great idea!

Way to go fixing it as well. I would have suggested the First Aid Kit as that has been a source of unwanted noise as well.

mike mac
05-24-2008, 08:09 PM
hmm, i dont have foldable seats and i already ruled out the first aid kit part out too. i thought it might be that cell phone speaker, i took it anyway so get better sound from my subs. but i think its something with the speaker wires. sometimes when i press the gas it makes noise.

benzofanatic
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I have a 99 c280 with out folding rear seats and I also have a rattle in the back. Its only there when the base is going from music. First it was the brake light housing as that rattled but now its something else. Sounds like its coming from the left speaker near the rear window but I cant tell. Any ideas?

Thanks