PDA

View Full Version : Emergency. M104 Won't Start

Sulaco
06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm in a bit of a jam here again, fellas.

I had the hood popped. I was going to check the spark plugs for carbon build-up (figured it was about time to change them). I disconnect MAS, air temp sensor, and remove crossover pipe to gain access to ignition system cover. Realize I left my allen-wrench set somewhere else, so I put it all back together. I go over all the fuses to make sure none are blown.

Put it all back together and give a quick crank. Starts right up on the first turn-over but engine dies about 2 seconds later.

Now it won't start. Period. I've killed the battery trying to crank it.

I've got no other means of transportation right now too, and a 8AM-4PM job to get to in the morning. Any ideas?

Proven Guilty
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
3 things make a car run: fuel, air, spark. sure you're not out of gas with the prices lately? that has seriously gotten me before lol

Sulaco
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Not sure what could have happened to stop any of them.

1/4 tank of gas. New fuel filter. Not sure where to begin on the spark. Was running perfectly then abruptly stopped.

RemoLexi
06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
as proven stated three things to make your car run!

test power to the fuel pump, test the fuel pressure.

cam/crankshaft pos. sensors are also common.

Sulaco
07-01-2008, 04:01 AM
How would I test the crank position sensor?

edit: also, how do I test power to fuel pump? fuel pressure? I've got limited tools.

Sulaco
07-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Pretty sure fuel is going. When I hold the key and turn the engine over and over and over, I step out and sniff the tail-pipe. I can smell unburned fuel vapor.

Sulaco
07-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Here's a clue.

While I had the crossover pipe pulled and was about to pull the plugs, I also went back to the trunk to get some tools.

I noticed my trunk was VERY filthy so I started cleaning it out. After it was clean, I started inspecting fuses and relays back there to see if any needed replacing.

Hint: I pulled that green relay with a 30A fuse inside it. Looked good, replaced it.

Couldn't find my tools, put car back together, that's when all hell broke loose.

That green relay? Yeah. The fuel pump relay. Awesome. $51 overnighted from www.importeccatalog.com

Here's a thread that helped point me in the right direction:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9903&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

Sulaco
07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
On the home stretch now.

It appears the fuel pump relay is the culprit.

I yanked it and used a piece of wire to bridge 2 of the leads. Car started right up without hesitation. Pulled the wire back out, car won't start at all.

Problem solved!

Special thanks to BoominBenz for helping point me in the right direction on this one.