PDA

View Full Version : Car is in Shop

sf280
09-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Today I was driving along and I heard a pop come from the front of my car - so I thought I might have hit something but I did not see anything in the rear view mirror. I was a block from Safeway where I was going shopping so I pulled in and shut off my engine. When I came back out and turned on the car, there was a very loud ticking noise coming from the front of the car. I decided to take it right over to the dealer with 30 mins left in their work week.

As I pulled in I could smell some burning and it was still ticking. The service advisor comes out and tells me to turn on the car to show him the problem, immediately he tells me to shut if off. Turns out the some rubber sleave or something like that near where all of the pulleys are up front, somehow burned off and is no longer in place. As a result I think it created separation from the crankshaft - it is around 1 cm. Anyways, it was not good news and a tech came over and looked at it, and was like, oh man that sucks. He pointed to a new S-Class that was in for the same problem. At this point it could be somewhat bad, or really really bad depending on if it shredded anything inside the engine. Needless to say I am pissed, and Starmark sure better cover this or else it will be at least 3g's he suspected!

nokia8860
09-26-2003, 04:48 PM
S class too? What is this a known problem?

I also hope starmark covers this for you. :( :(

sf280
09-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
S class too? What is this a known problem?

I also hope starmark covers this for you. :( :(

I guess it has happened more than once, and the tech knew exactly what it was so, anyways, better be fucking covered or I am SOL - yeah no job.

manny
09-26-2003, 05:16 PM
It's your harmonic balancer ( they blow out by the hundreds ).
It will most certainly be covered by your warranty !;)

sf280
09-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by manny
It's your harmonic balancer ( they blow out by the hundreds ).
It will most certainly be covered by your warranty !;)

Yup, that is what they said, now the question is, if there was additional damage, is all of that covered? I would assume so, but just a pain since I do not have a car for the whole weekend and then some.

manny
09-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I don't think there would be any other damage, and if there is, it should also be covered by the warranty. ;)
P.S. You may want to check over at www.mercedesshop.com ( technical forum ), and read all the gruesome details on balancer failures.

aintME
09-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sf280
Yup, that is what they said, now the question is, if there was additional damage, is all of that covered? I would assume so, but just a pain since I do not have a car for the whole weekend and then some.
it should be covered, but, starmark is kind of tricky sometimes. for example, they'll prob cover the main part but not the bolt that holds it in place. stupid. they prob won't even look at it until monday afternoon. they'll order the parts on tuesday morning. receive the parts on thursday ~noon. and will finally start work on it by friday...so, yea..here's looking to next friday/following monday at the earliest. i assume all of the loaners are out as usual?

sf280
09-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by manny
I don't think there would be any other damage, and if there is, it should also be covered by the warranty. ;)
P.S. You may want to check over at www.mercedesshop.com ( technical forum ), and read all the gruesome details on balancer failures.

Thanks, I just read and posted on this thread :(

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&postid=477174#post477174

sf280
09-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by aintME
it should be covered, but, starmark is kind of tricky sometimes. for example, they'll prob cover the main part but not the bolt that holds it in place. stupid. they prob won't even look at it until monday afternoon. they'll order the parts on tuesday morning. receive the parts on thursday ~noon. and will finally start work on it by friday...so, yea..here's looking to next friday/following monday at the earliest. i assume all of the loaners are out as usual?

Probably, but I have had pretty good luck with the people at the Clay street location. They are pretty cool there and give me a fairly confident feeling.

sf280
10-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Just got it back and they covered the replacement with Starmark. They also had to replace the Oil pan since it was damaged as well. Good times!!

kameraguy
10-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Dan, glad your car is back with you and you didn't pay for any of it!

sf280
10-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Dan, glad your car is back with you and you didn't pay for any of it!

Got a free oil change out of it too, and it was time for me to do one so BONUS!!!

kameraguy
10-02-2003, 02:52 PM
There you go! Make the system work for YOU! :p

Rocky
10-02-2003, 04:23 PM
stupid question but whats a harmonic balancer?

kameraguy
10-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
stupid question but whats a harmonic balancer?

This one's for Rocky :p

http://www.autoswalk.com/howengineswork.html