PDA

View Full Version : stereo self-installed, no sound - please help

ejagz
08-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Today I (self)-installed Pioneer DEH-P4000UB in 95 C280 with bose system. I used VW harness Metra 80-1784 with interpolated yellow and red wires. the stereo fits in perfect, turns off when ignition is off. Everything is perfect except NO SOUND. I haven't connected the antenna yet.

Please help

Logic
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
sounds like a simple fix. even tho you used a harness there is one wire you left out. by looking at the harness factory side there is going to be 2 or three extra wires depending if you hooked up illumination from the metra harness you used. since its a bose system you need to turn the factory amp on via your remote turn on led or blue/white wire. if i recall the amp turn on led could be blue or white depending on the year of your car. usually the harness you bought doesn't have the blue wires attached to the harness for a couple of reasons especially for vw . anyways there is a safe way to test these wires if your not sure. get a inline fuse holder and put a 1 amp fuse in it. at one end put the wire into your constant wire so it haves 12 volts. then touch the other wire with the other end of the fuse holder if you catch the right wire the sound will turn on , if you catch the wrong wire it will blow the fuse. in most cases as long as there wasn't a din cable present at the deck you should get sound, but if there was a din cable at the deck you will have rewire the factory amp @ the amp and run the speakers leds to the deck up front. hope this helped

ejagz
08-03-2008, 05:25 AM
seems like i am one reply away from you to fix the wiring. thanks a million.

i looked at harness - metra 80-1784, it has following information on the pack:
12 volt ignition/acc -red
12 volt batt/memory -yellow
ground -black
power antenna -blue (i haven't connected antenna yet)
amp turn-on -blue/white (that's what you pointed out,yes, that's the only wire that is not connected to harness, i did not connect it with any because on the aftermarket hu harness - it is labelled as REMOTE SYSTEM CONTROL)
amp ground -black/white
illumination -orange
dimmer -orange/white
phone mute -brown
right front + -gray
right front - -gray/black
left front + -white
left front - -white/black
right rear + -violet
right rear - violet/black
left rear + -green
left rear - -green black

there are 17 wires listed on the pack, but harness has 13 wires as follows
all speaker wires i.e. 8
#09 yellow
#10 red
#11 orange/white
#12 black

missing wires are
blue/white - that you pointed out
brown - not needed because that is meant for phone mute
blue - i am planning to get antenna adapter, but that's for later, if unit works with cd
blue/white - for amp turn-on

here are the wires of aftermarket hu harness that are connected with metra 80-1784

aftermarket hu harness -> metra 80-1784
yellow ->red
red ->yellow
orange/white ->orange/white
black ->black
blue/white -not connected to any wire
white ->white
white/black ->white/black
green ->green
green/black ->green/black
gray ->gray
gray/black ->gray/black
violet ->violet
violet/black ->violet/black

now the problem in wiring seems to be blue/white wire from hu that is not connected to any.

stock harness has following numbers
1 speed-sensitive volume control
2 not used
3 muting by telephone system
4 permanent plus
5 automatic antenna control Control signal for left/right audio power amplifier
6 illumination
7 switched plus
8 ground
and eight speaker wires

#1,2,3 are not available at metra 80-1784 and hu, so that's ok.

that brings back to blue/white unconnected wire. i will test the wires today with the tester you advised.

yesterday i was reading about line converter, PAC OEM-2, is that what i am lacking?
Logic, please hep me

ejagz
08-03-2008, 10:30 AM
here is update
i checked the amp turn on wire and connected with hu blue/white, only front speakers are on. at least it is a first step, and thanks Logic.

i have not used PAC OEM-2, may be that's the next step.

Logic
08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
well you more alikey used the blue/white to the number 5 you idicated which is antena/ audio amp if only front speakers are working you abvious turned the amp on or one of them . it there a 5 or 7 pin din black cord that was hooked up to the deck? as far as a line convertor its in only used if you are using factory deck to aftermarker amp . it wont do aftermarket for factory. did you say there was four sets of twister wires behind the deck or factory harness? if so i m not sure why the rears arent on unless like i said the din cord that might go to another amp. basically the blue/white wire from your aftermarket deck is a amp turn on led so by hooking that up to the factory amp led turned the amp on which gave you sound to the front but check those other things as i said to see if thats the case for the rears.

ejagz
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.mazda626.net/index.php?showtopic=30215
from above URL, changing from 4 ohm to 2 ohm makes sense and from following URL connecting an aftermarket radio to a factory amplifier
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... &i=127OEM2

I am inclined to purchase PAC OEM-2
Please advise me because i am confused

chriswm
08-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes, you should be using a PAC OEM-2, because your head unit is most likely outputting amplified audio, while your Bose amp is expecting line-level. Anything louder than line-level has the potential to blow your Bose amp.

The blue/white wire on the head unit needs to be connected to the blue wire on the PAC OEM-2.

Logic
08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
yea i totally understand what you said but i blow threw them all the time sometimes with good results and sometime the volume can get loud really quick which i would rewire it. some other things i seen is amp pop or even engine whine. but what you are using is a high to low which is a good thing to use if your scare to do what i do :D

benzonline
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Is it a substantial improvement in sound with aftermarket deck + Bose or, what are the cons/pros to this in terms of SOUND. I understand the functionality part.

I put the MB Audio 10 and noticed improvement quite a bit even though its still OEM.