PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Noise When Cornering

coolin
08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted...hope all is well.

Quick question:

I have a grinding noise (sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise that you would hear when brake pads are low) coming from one of my wheels.

The strange thing is that I only have the noise when cornering.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing as their is no hum or noise when driving straight.

I don't think it's brakes as the car stops without any noise and I saw the pads relatively recently and they looked to be about 50%.

Although I haven't taken the wheel off yet, there doesn't appear to be anything I can feel that would be making contact inside the wheel well.

Any thoughts? Search didn't come up with anything conclusive.

MeMyself
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by coolin
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted...hope all is well.

Quick question:

I have a grinding noise (sounds like a metal on metal grinding noise that you would hear when brake pads are low) coming from one of my wheels.

The strange thing is that I only have the noise when cornering.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing as their is no hum or noise when driving straight.

I don't think it's brakes as the car stops without any noise and I saw the pads relatively recently and they looked to be about 50%.

Although I haven't taken the wheel off yet, there doesn't appear to be anything I can feel that would be making contact inside the wheel well.

Any thoughts? Search didn't come up with anything conclusive.

Might be the wheel bearings! Try greasing them and thightening them! Worked for me! :D

bleveled
08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I have this same problem on my '96.replaced pads,rotors and wheel bearings.No help.My contol arm bushings are bad,so maybe thats part of it.Wish I knew too.was very let down when wheel bearings did not fix it

coolin
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
A little more info...

The noise has gotten progressively worse and I took the wheel off to take a look around.

1) There doesn't appear to be any damage that could cause the scraping.

2) The inside surface of the rear brake has significant groves, unlike the outer surface which still has some pads on it. I guess it could be the brake, but unlikely due to the cornering.

It looks like I'll be off to the dealership...

bleveled
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Mine is certainly from the passenger front.on left cornering at slow speeds.like in parking lots,it is apparent.

kevinzorz
08-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by bleveled
Mine is certainly from the passenger front.on left cornering at slow speeds.like in parking lots,it is apparent.

mine did this, a mechanic told me it was because of the tie-rods' not having any grease left in them, or something like that