PDA

View Full Version : Installing Mercedes W202 Roof Racks - Help

xvvvz
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know which of the two factory roof racks goes in front and which goes in rear? One is labeled w202 hl and the other is labeled w202 vl. I bet if I knew any of the German language, I could have guessed what the hl and vl signify.

I never knew you could break off/chip off a chunk of aluminum without first crushing or bending the tubing but the asses at UPS proved it is possible during the shipping of this thing.

strictlyspeakin
08-17-2008, 05:26 PM
forward = vorwärts
rear = hinten

my guess is vl is the one in the front

xvvvz
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for your response. I had finally thought to use the Google language tool to translate a bunch of words similar to those and had come to the same conclusion.

Installation is pretty easy although I was surprised the mounting wasn't engineered so that the front bar would sit straight up/level. It leans slightly forward. I tried flipping things around every which way but each orientation showed the same characteristic. No big deal I guess.

griplimited
08-26-2008, 11:46 PM
where did u get the roof rack and how much was it? pics? looking into a rack, possibly by Thule.. but boy has prices gone up on them.

xvvvz
08-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Check with the dealer, but I would not be surprised if they do not stock it any more. I bought it used from another former w202 owner. The price would probably be outrageous, so unless you can find a used one cheap, a Thule or Yakima would be a better investment with lots more accessories.

griplimited
08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
New Thule was looking well over 350 for the entire kit.

Post pics of yours. Curious if oem is aero oval or square, round, etc.

xvvvz
08-29-2008, 05:45 AM
The bars are square with the accessory channel across the top edge and pretty much look exactly like the ones shown here. The main difference is in the mounting feet which have to be different to fit the w202, but you will get the idea.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/191116-roof-rack-w124-300ce-coupe.html