PDA

View Full Version : knocking

benzo23
08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
lately i have noticed a knocking noise coming from the top of my valve case...im assumeing it is the valves doing this...it is quite loud when the car is in N and in P and goes away as i accelerate..if the car didnt sound like a diesal before it damn sure does now...any suggestions on getting this noise to go away would be greatly appreciated..

1995c280
08-16-2008, 08:20 AM
if it sounds like a ticking noise, i would tend to believe you have a stuck lifter. as you drive you build up oil pressure and the noise quiets down. try changing your oil and add a can of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase as well. see if that helps.

Jason

benzo23
08-17-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm due for an oil change anyways, I have just been using regular 10w30, which I don't think is a heavy enough weight oil for this summer florida heat esp. With me having a black car...I mean it easily gets over 100degrees outside...what oil would u guys suggest I put in that won't turn into piss water after sitting out all day...thanks

JRE320
08-17-2008, 07:07 AM
if the ticking sound would not go away after your change oil, then I think you got a problem with your valves. Coz I have the same problem and I change all the my valves and that's take care of it. I suggest you use 20-50 motor oil.

benzo23
08-17-2008, 08:56 AM
20 50 was what I was planning on putting in, if that's not it, how is the process of replacing the valves on one of these, I've never really given it much thought...but is there a valve cleaner I could put in there instead?

JRE320
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
It requires a professional mechanic to do this. You need the valve springs and there's like 12 valves to replace if I'm not mistaken.

benzo23
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
well, i got 3 opinions today and all 3 said it is the water pump bearings going bad, you can literally wiggle the pully from the unit, so i ordered a new pump from autozone, got a new serp belt cause mine was looking worn, bought 2 gallons of MB coolant, and picked up one of those female looking torx bits to get the pump off..anything i should know to do this, i did a search and some people suggested a new thermo stat...but mine looked to be in good condition...

JRE320
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Might as well change the thermostat. ;)

benzo23
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
your right, ive already put this much money into it for the cooling whats another 10 bucks for a new thermostat, ive read about where they are on the 280, but where is it located on the n/a c230....i pray the pump isant that much of a bitch to get out but i dont have anything in the way, and obviously there is a little bit more involved than just un doing 4 bolts and pluging another one in...but thats the idea so ive gathered, then just do a coolant flush afterwards...and on that topic how much coolant does it take? cause i have 2 gallons is that enough?

Cru328prod
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
holy shit are you kidding me, that water pump is a cunt and half.......when my pulley snapped off, i had to deal with so much shitttttttttttttttt......pop open that oil cap, and look inside to see if its really f'ing muddy, get some seafoam pour half of it inside your gas tank, and half where you put the oil.....run it for a few miles, then do your oil change...BE CAREFUL THO, if theres a thick build up of sluge....don't even bother...drain it some and put transmission fuild in there.....run it for a while....and run a heavy weight syth motor oil. If one chunk breaks loose...its gonna cause you more shittt then you've started with. If its ticks, you have a bad lifter, it may just need adjusting...but its better to replace them reguardless. don't just do one, do them all!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6187290865726229173

benzo23
08-21-2008, 05:50 AM
well i took it to the place where they do my oil and they put some kind of scope on top where the valves are and they listened to it and said the valves seemed fine and my oil was nice and clean...so now onto the task of this damn water pump that shakes when the car is running...the bearings are shot in the damn thing...i know they suggest to use MB coolant for 26$ a gallon but is regular prestone@ 12$ a gallon good enough?, i really cant do shit until this tropical storm is gone, its cool tho my town of satellite beach has been on the news alot for all the flooding down here...

xvvvz
08-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Zerex G05 is the same thing as what MB sells.

Cru328prod
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
theres a write up on coolent

benzo23
08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea I saw the thread on how to do the coolant flush and ill go by that I'm sure the process is similar...so ill prob go based on that, hopefully ill be able to do it in the morn looks like the weather is clearing up