PDA

View Full Version : Sos!!!!!

benzo23
08-23-2008, 06:28 AM
I pulled out of a parking lot this morning and jumped on the accelerator the engine reved and I started to take off I suddenly let off the gas, the car did a slight jolt..nothing not normal... then got back on it maybe half pedal and when I did I had no throttle responce at all...I mean I'd put in down 3/4 pedal and would get no revs at all, if you floor it then the revs start to climb as if I was starting in like 5th gear, building up very slowly...I managed to make it to work which is where I'm at now...any ideas would be more than appreciated and I still haven't put that damn water pump in yet.

xvvvz
08-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Did you try turning the car off and back on to see if the computer reset things? I would go by Autozone or wherever to borrow their scanner and see if you can pull any codes.

benzo23
08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I've been calling around to see if any autozones etc. Have a code reader for my car to get no luck...this is just to strange I've never heard of such a thing happening in these cars

xvvvz
08-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Are you asking them if they have an OBD II scanner? That is all they will have. This is very basic and you may really need something more in-depth but you might as well try since it is free.

Where do you live? You need to update your profile information to include your location. If you live in CA, apparently they passed a law or something to prevent Autozone, etc., from loaning out scanners.

benzo23
08-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm in florida...any ideas what could of caused the throttle response just to die like that?

Logic
08-23-2008, 12:07 PM
i m not sure about this but throwing something out there.... is the throttle body cable adjustable? and if so did it come loose ?

benzo23
08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Went out and looked at the the throttle link cable and it looked normal

Logic
08-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by benzo23
Went out and looked at the the throttle link cable and it looked normal
so when you push on the gas pedal the cable moves?
if i recall i remember something about how the throttle body on our cars are different , said something about a device that controls the throttle responce . maybe that device is bad???
do a search in here to see if you can find something like i described.

c280nz
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
does it idle fine?
vac leak?

benzo23
08-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Well just got out of work and got out to start it up idles fine, put it in R and gave some gas and got my response back, put it in D and got my throttle back...back to normal atleast and shifts fine...very very very strange

Cru328prod
08-23-2008, 08:22 PM
lmfao why does it sound like the car went on limp mode?

i wish that shit can be disabled permently..shit almost got me killed......

benzo23
08-24-2008, 03:18 AM
What the hell is limp mode??, it that like ED for cars?

c280nz
08-24-2008, 03:20 AM
it is like a get home mode the car goes into if a fault code is tripped off, to limit your revs etc to reduce engine damage,
i think it doesnt let you rev past 4500 or sumthin like that

NISMOPOWERED
08-24-2008, 07:02 AM
You lost the thottle body. I had this happen twice before i replaced it. Same thing as you if you restart your car it will come back. Unlike a lot of new cars our drive by wire still has the wire. For the first 80% the cable just moves the TPS and send the signal to the ECU and then the ECU sends a signal to the motor on the thottle body to open the plate. This is what it always does in normal driving. The last 20% of the pedal travel will open th ethottle a little bit mechanically. This is how you got to work. Its the back up in case your throttle doesn't work. It will get you home just not fast. Of course you could just act like your hypermiling it!:D

benzo23
08-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
You lost the thottle body. I had this happen twice before i replaced it. Same thing as you if you restart your car it will come back. Unlike a lot of new cars our drive by wire still has the wire. For the first 80% the cable just moves the TPS and send the signal to the ECU and then the ECU sends a signal to the motor on the thottle body to open the plate. This is what it always does in normal driving. The last 20% of the pedal travel will open th ethottle a little bit mechanically. This is how you got to work. Its the back up in case your throttle doesn't work. It will get you home just not fast. Of course you could just act like your hypermiling it!:D

Wow!, thanks a lot...how in the hell did u figure this out I mean u seem to know spot on what it is, I mean I'm thankful and all...well if it happens again ill take care of it but it seems to be fine....but I got the water pump done this morning..man that was easy..took about 3 hrs including cool down times from driving it around...the old pump was very very very bad barely spun at all...so got the new pump, serp, thermostat, and coolant...and car runs nice and smooth...doesn't sound like a clanking diesal anymore

NISMOPOWERED
08-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Mine did it twice before I replaced it because im anal. Most of the time you can just shut it off and restart and t will work. When I pulled mine the harness that goes from the unit to the plug(about 1' long) was all cracked under the black outer housing. Basically the insulation on the wires themselves was gone. Same as the older engine harness problem. I missed the engine harness by a year but I guess I didnt miss this one!:(

benzo23
08-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
Mine did it twice before I replaced it because im anal. Most of the time you can just shut it off and restart and t will work. When I pulled mine the harness that goes from the unit to the plug(about 1' long) was all cracked under the black outer housing. Basically the insulation on the wires themselves was gone. Same as the older engine harness problem. I missed the engine harness by a year but I guess I didnt miss this one!:(

whoa whoa whoa, where is this cracked piece located???, cause today when i did the water pump i had to remove the black plasic covering on the front of the engine to get a bolt for the thermostat, well under the covering i saw a whitish/clear hose and a faded red hose, well the red one was so old and brittle it cracked when i moved it, i got a replacement tube to put over it along with some sealer...could this be the same thing your talking about??

NISMOPOWERED
08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
No those tubes go out alot. Most companies stopped useing them awhile ago. But the wires themselves. Youll notice most of the harness is covered with tape or a loom. The trottle bosy cable is about 1/2 in diameter. Inside the black cable is a bunch of regular wires, its these wires that had the insulation cracked and shorting on mine.

benzo23
08-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Ill be sure to check out the TB cable when I leave this morning for work

anf6789
08-25-2008, 06:47 PM
those tubes are vacuum lines i believe

benzo23
08-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by anf6789
those tubes are vacuum lines i believe

Yea I think they are to actually now that I looked at them carefully, well my car is running great now thank god, running cooler thanks to the new h2o pump, new thermo and put a new k&n in today to breathe better cause my old filter was damp and warped from getting wet from the storm we had...but back to the throttle I still find it strange that my TB has gone bad, I mean why all of a sudden would it go out besides age cause I was just driving normal when I realized I had no throttle