PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody repaired of tested the governor gear on their 722.4?

SLCPUNK
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I've read a little about this and I suspect my governor may need to be replaced. Has anybody actually done this before? Any online DIY links you know of? Sounds easy enough, I just need more specifics before I get under my car.

First thing I'd like to do, is see if I can move the gear by hand (from what I've read, if you can spin it freely by hand, it's toast). Can somebody tell me the procedure for this? What tools I may need to get to it? Thanks.

c280nz
09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
what the hell is a governor gear, and what does it do?

JRE320
09-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SLCPUNK
I've read a little about this and I suspect my governor may need to be replaced. Has anybody actually done this before? Any online DIY links you know of? Sounds easy enough, I just need more specifics before I get under my car.

First thing I'd like to do, is see if I can move the gear by hand (from what I've read, if you can spin it freely by hand, it's toast). Can somebody tell me the procedure for this? What tools I may need to get to it? Thanks.

1st time I've heard this problem. Don't know what you talking about here. :confused:
Plus you don't check on your post.. :mad: :mad:

stox
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
what the hell is a governor gear, and what does it do?

Ask Sarah Palin. :p

SLCPUNK
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
The governor of the transmission.

c280nz
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
i think someone is trying to talk you into replacing something you dont have, or need....

are you talking about your top speed governor, or rev governor?
thats the only thing i can figure out from what ur talking about,
but maby we call a governor something different round here.

please be more specific about your problem, eg i expect your next post to be at least larger than myne, and full of more descriptive words :)

STOX catch me up who is sarah palin

stox
09-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Governor of Alaska, Vice Presidential candidate and political slut:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s400/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

SLCPUNK
09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
i think someone is trying to talk you into replacing something you dont have, or need....

are you talking about your top speed governor, or rev governor?
thats the only thing i can figure out from what ur talking about,
but maby we call a governor something different round here.

please be more specific about your problem, eg i expect your next post to be at least larger than myne, and full of more descriptive words :)

The car likes to hold second gear longer than it should before shifting up. The rest of the gears shift properly. Vacuum is correct, and from my searches I've found the governor in the transmission causes this problem (often with other users, it won't go past second gear.) The governor pressure can be tested via a port, or also by hand (if you can spin it around, then it should be replaced.) I am looking for specific direction on how to test and then replace it before I crawl around under there.

c280nz
09-11-2008, 10:23 PM
u sound like you have done ur research, but i cant help sorry, goodluck.

and Stox i know who u are talking about now, i have seen her on tv once or twice, but never knew her name, soccer mum politician arent they calling her?

stox
09-12-2008, 07:01 AM
u sound like you have done ur research, but i cant help sorry, goodluck.

and Stox i know who u are talking about now, i have seen her on tv once or twice, but never knew her name, soccer mum politician arent they calling her?

Not Soccer Mom, Hockey Mom.

xvvvz
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Read Cj220's posts over at Benzworld. He has been through something that sounds similar which he solved by adjusting the modulator and Bowden cable.

benzaddict
09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
It could very well be that your governor driven gear is broken. On the later 722.4 transmisisons the driven gear off the governor is plastic and they break sometimes. The result is very delayed upshifts if any at all. You can check it by pulling the tailshaft housing off, it's not very hard to replace. The best way to test it is to check gov pressure at the test port. Obviously it should rise in pressure as vehicle speed increases.

SLCPUNK
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by benzaddict
It could very well be that your governor driven gear is broken. On the later 722.4 transmisisons the driven gear off the governor is plastic and they break sometimes. The result is very delayed upshifts if any at all. You can check it by pulling the tailshaft housing off, it's not very hard to replace. The best way to test it is to check gov pressure at the test port. Obviously it should rise in pressure as vehicle speed increases.

This is what I was thinking. Do you know the steps to replace it? What are the steps to pulling the tailshaft housing off?

I really want to tackle this job so my baby drives out right again.

Thanks.

SLCPUNK
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
Read Cj220's posts over at Benzworld. He has been through something that sounds similar which he solved by adjusting the modulator and Bowden cable.

I've adjusted the bowden cable, and tidied up vacuum leaks and it does not address the 2-3 shift.