PDA

View Full Version : Spring Perch Failure

PaulX608
09-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, as my son pulled our 1999 C230 out of his High shcool parking lot Thursday after football practice, the right upper spring perch failed. The spring itself ejected and was laying next to the curb, and the top rubber pad was on the sidewalk. He managed to turn around and get back into the school parking lot. The part, #2026260219, is only $17.50 and I found a guy that's done a few on W210s and W202s to do it for around $200. I'm so glad that this happened when and where it did, at a low speed near his school where we could leave it for a couple days. Hard to believe that anyone would expect this flimsy looking stamped steel cup to hold this amount of force in check. Any other stories of the spring perch failure here?

Nelson Lago
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
what does it look like, I'm thinking it's bolted or welded to the body right. it seem kind of cheap for what I'm thinking of

PaulX608
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
It's like an inverted bowl that's welded to the inner fender. It's part #77 in this diagram:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/MB/B62030000242.0340.gif

c280nz
09-13-2008, 04:17 PM
im amazed you can buy parts which are welded to the chasis and such an integral part of the car,

PaulX608
09-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
im amazed you can buy parts which are welded to the chasis and such an integral part of the car,

Well, how else could collision damaged parts be replaced? I'm just truly amazed that this much force is on this little part. Good reason to inspect EVERYTHING when you buy a used car. We've had this thing for more than a year and my wife put 30,000 miles or so on it before we passed it down to my son. I'm really glad it didn't pop on her going 80 down I-95 a month ago or so.

Pagz
09-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Have heard of these breaking before,but i dont think its that common!?

Was there any rust around the welds?
is there a possibility that at some stage its been over speed bumps or a curb at speed?

I run a stiffer spring and have hit quite a few hard parts on the road,mine show no cracks or pulling away from the chassis.

though the thought of it breaking makes me wonder if i should have them welded up good....pita though.

Goodluck with the repair!

Paul

OCKlasse
09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't use mine :D

PaulX608
09-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I don't use mine :D
I assume you use coilovers? If so, that would seem like a very nice alternative. Not really interested in spending the $$$ on this car at this point, but if we keep it forever, that seems like a good way to go for the long term.

benzonline
09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
From what I heard, inspecting these parts is kind of tricky as it rusts from the inside somewhere and is hard to see/tell.

PaulX608
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
From what I heard, inspecting these parts is kind of tricky as it rusts from the inside somewhere and is hard to see/tell.
True, it would seem that the spring is the best way to test it, lol.

benzonline
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Is there any symptoms prior to this failure? Its also funny, that every failure I heard of happened in parking lots, or, when parked and not touched!

PaulX608
09-14-2008, 06:05 PM
We had no symptoms on ours. With the amount of energy contained in that compressed spring, I would imagine that any weakness would cause it to fail before significant indications would make themselves known. Also, the area seems to be so covered with stuff as to be vurtually uninspectable. From everything I've read online with W210 and W202 perch failures, they either fail or they don't. I've also read of them failing overnight in the garage, and I'm still very glad this one let go when it did and not at speed on the interstate.

benzonline
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Very lucky.

Do you have any pics to share?

benzaddict
09-14-2008, 08:12 PM
This is actually a quite common failure, especially on the 210 chassis cars. We don't see it much here on the west coast, but on the east coast where rust is so much worse, it is a very common problem. If I were you I would be calling your local dealer and complain. It may suprise you that it might be covered under 'goodwill warranty'. MB knows this is a problem and have been paying the bill to fix these for years. We actually just had one through our dealership a few months ago that they warranted. They might not pay for it, but it's worth a shot.

OCKlasse
09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by PaulX608
I assume you use coilovers? If so, that would seem like a very nice alternative. Not really interested in spending the $$$ on this car at this point, but if we keep it forever, that seems like a good way to go for the long term.

No...hydraulics. One would still need the spring perches with coilovers.

benzonline
09-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Did the car have any signs on rust on the body, such as the doors, trims, fenders?

PaulX608
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Did the car have any signs on rust on the body, such as the doors, trims, fenders?
Nope, no rust visible on the car. Not even where the part failed, except under the coating where the tear in the metal actually is.

allirroz
09-16-2008, 07:03 AM
I have learned living in a 4 season state , never to neglect the under chassis, especially if the car is used during the winter. Invest in a Power washer and power wash away . Power washing is the easiest amd simpliest way to remove the salt grime/residue under the chassis which btw is main ingridient that causes and promotes RUST.

benzonline
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
What about rustproofing?

Basically the body cavities and underbody gets coated in oil.

allirroz
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
What about rustproofing?.

it's a good alternative, but adds weight to the car, if that doesnt bother you then yes - its an effective treatment. Especially for you guys out there in Toronto. I had a brother that lived in Ontario and he says rustproofing is a big business in your area due to the amount of snow accumulation Ontario receives yearly.
Which means more snow= more treatment of salt and sand onto the ground and then people neglect to wash = CANCER strikes

benzonline
09-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I always had my Benzes rustproofed....if it adds weight to the car I doubt its much..these cars need Jenny Craig anyways.

Im gonna rustproof it even though it will be parked for winter....out on nice days.

allirroz
09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree! I would rather apply that gooey stuff for protection then have a cancer stricken Mercedes. But don't the rustproofing people bore holes on the panels/doors to apply and treat?...... Oooh , Ouch.....

benzonline
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
It is a tiny circle with a rubber cap on it when done....one per door and you think its stock...the hole is very very small and its enough for their oil "wand" to get in and mist with oil coating. I get the oil that drips so it gets everywhere and not the wax "jam" based.

So far its working...I had my car out in 2 winters mildly driven but had salt on it from time to time and I see 0 deterioration or rust anywhere.

PaulX608
10-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Got the car back yesterday. $200 bill, not too bad. The body man said the rust was isolated to the part itself, and that the surrounding areas to which the part attaches are solid. He also said the replacement part seemed thicker than the original. He did have a look at the other one, too. He said it looked fine, but the only way to fully inspect it would be to remove all the coating. I opted not to have him remove that stuff and hope for the best. My son is certainly happy after two weeks of riding the bus to school and having to score a ride home from football practice. Nice for me too, since football practice always seems to end just as I sit down to eat dinner.