PDA

View Full Version : cluster light out (see pic)

GDawgC220
09-28-2003, 03:07 PM
hi,
this light just went out last night after i got out of work, grrrr. It happened once in the past and i smacked the top of the cluster and it came back, but this time, it didnt :(

in the past, to replace a bulb in the cluster costed about $400, so no way am I going back to the dealer. Is it easy to replace the bulb behind the cluster and is there any great risk of fcuking something up back there if I do it myself? BTW, i do not have a telescopic steering wheel, but have seen people do it without taking the steering wheel off.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-G-

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~gkong/guages.jpg

vas2vas
09-28-2003, 06:14 PM
pull out the cluster using the special tools..... tilt it downwards and disconnect the plugs..... turn it to it's side and slide it out sideways through the top rim of the steering wheel.......then change both bulbs, although from your post I think that the left one is just loose.....

GDawgC220
09-28-2003, 06:16 PM
can this be done with some coat hanger mechanics? or does it have to be the tools with the 90 degree angle at the end? thanks man.

nokia8860
09-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by GDawgC220

in the past, to replace a bulb in the cluster costed about $400, so no way am I going back to the dealer. Is it easy to replace the bulb behind the cluster and is there any great risk of fcuking something up back there if I do it myself? BTW, i do not have a telescopic steering wheel, but have seen people do it without taking the steering wheel off.

Very easy to do and you will probably go back to the dealer and ask for that 400 dollars back once you see how easy it is.

Go to your parts counter and ask for the dash removale tools. I think its like 15 bucks.

Since you do not have a tele wheel use a hex key and remove the two hex that hold the air bag to the wheel. Where is the hex? Feel the rear side of your steering wheel, youll feel two holes. One on each side. Thats where they are.

Once the bag is out, you will have to unclip the wire. There is on large nut. Undo that and the wheel will come off.

Once off insert the dash tool on each side of the cluster and pull your cluster out and reach behind and undo the wireharness. Then pull the entire cluster out.

Replace the bulbs and install everything back.

Very easy job and should take less than 1 hr to do the whole thing. Make sure you replace all the bulbs since more than likely the others will burn out soon.

edit:

If you have seen the tool then yes you can make them out of a wire coat hanger as well.

GDawgC220
09-28-2003, 06:22 PM
will trying to take off the airbag cause it to deploy or alter it's performance if the car is in an accident?

I know those two holes behind the wheel. If i unscrew those, the front of the steerwheel comes off (the panel with the mercedes sign and the horns) then the large nut in the middle behind the panel loosens the steering wheel itself, right?

Is there any great risk of damaging anything in this self process? Thanks for your help :)

CKlasse
09-28-2003, 09:00 PM
I dont have Telescoping steering wheel, I never took out my air bag to pull out the cluster. You simple pull them out with coat hanger, or the MB tool for $10/pair and tilt the whole cluster to the right along with your steering wheel. :)

jnolte
09-29-2003, 04:50 PM
how do you do it if you have the telescoping wheel??

kameraguy
09-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
how do you do it if you have the telescoping wheel??
It's the same, but easier with a telescoping wheel. For those with the telescoping wheels, you have more room to pull the cluster out as the wheel can be pulled out further.

GDawgC220
09-30-2003, 12:24 PM
alright, i tried two way to get this damn cluster out.

1) Unscrewed all the screws underneath the dash (drivers side) and tried to pull that sucker down. It budged, but looked like right underneathe the steering column, there are screws inside that hold that :confused: So, I didn't want to risk snapping something and just put the screws back in.

2) I found a metal coat hanger and made my own keys :D and they worked (took about 10 minutes to finally get it out cuz it kept sliding out of the notch I had it in on the side). So got it out, but then the damn steering wheel was in the way. I pulled up a little and got the plastic cover up against the top of the steeringwheel. I looked behind there but couldn't find the bulb that was in that region of the blackout I found the bulb that illuminates the temp guage, but not the one I'm looking for. :confused:

So what do I do now? I put everything back together for now and am hoping to find some help here :)

thanks guys.

-G-

nokia8860
09-30-2003, 12:38 PM
You will have to pull out the cluster from your car to change that bulb.

Youre almost there, just add another 10 mins to remove your steering wheel and its smooth sailing! :bandit:

GDawgC220
09-30-2003, 12:42 PM
is there any risk of the airbag deploying while i'm trying to remove it or damage to the system itself when removing it from the wheel? thanks for your help Nokia.

-G-

nokia8860
09-30-2003, 12:53 PM
i dont want to say otherwise however i have taken out numerous airbags out of these cars with no problems.

also make sure you mark the location of the nut in relation to the wheel as you dont want to bolt things up and find out your wheel is not pointing straight.

GDawgC220
09-30-2003, 01:03 PM
thanks nokia. so when i take the two hex nuts out behind the wheel, the black airbag part with the mercedes sign is suppose to come off then behind that is the nut for the steering wheel itself, right?

-G-

nokia8860
09-30-2003, 01:33 PM
the two bolts hold the air bag to the wheel. There is a wire that has to be undone behind the bag before you can move it out of the way. Then there is the bolt to hold the wheel

JRE320
09-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Dats right!! And be ready coz it will require a muscle man to take out the wheel. ;)

GDawgC220
09-30-2003, 02:09 PM
i got the cluster out without removing the wheel :D

now, do i have to go to the dealer for bulbs or will autozone do? thanks guys for all your help, much appreciated!

-G-

nokia8860
09-30-2003, 02:26 PM
I havent seen the bulbs outside of the dealer. Remember to replace all them. Its worth it.

JRE320
09-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Watch out for the dealer pricing. You won't like it. :rolleyes: :confused: It cost $6.00!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

GDawgC220
09-30-2003, 03:50 PM
yea, I just went to Autozone and they didn't have it. They never carry any bulbs that I take out of my car :(

Guess I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow. Is there anyplace online that would be cheaper than the dealership? I remember getting the map reading light and the rear seat dome light for $6 a piece :rolleyes:

Thanks.

-G-

JRE320
09-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Try Importec.com or Mercedesshop.com.

jnolte
01-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Okay i want to install some CF overlay around the dials, will this just be the same process? But how to i get behind the glass? Are these dash removal tools the stero removal tools also?

JRE320
01-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Okay i want to install some CF overlay around the dials, will this just be the same process? But how to i get behind the glass? Are these dash removal tools the stero removal tools also?

They're the same procedure except you can't use the stereo puller
for the cluster.

jnolte
01-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
They're the same procedure except you can't use the stereo puller
for the cluster.

DAMMIT, they should made everything interchangable

J__
01-22-2005, 11:03 PM
ok now my temp gauge light burnt out. so ima try these procedures u guys listed. but can someone show my a picture of what the tool looks like? and what the home made coat hanger ones look like? can i use a flat head screwdriver?
and where do i insert the tip. just anywhere on each side? or is there a special notch to insert. i dont want to break it and have to buy a whole new cluster =*(
pics please

oh and how many lights are there in total in the cluster?

SLAMMED_C
01-23-2005, 02:01 PM
There are 2 ways to remove the cluster.. the quick way.. and the long way!!

The Quick Way: for cars without telescopic steering.

By using the MB special tool (cluster hooks) and some washer fluid jugs cut into 2 strips about 3" wide and 4" long.
slide the washer jug pieces inbewteen the dash and cluster.. now push the cluster hooks inbetween the washer jug strips and cluster (protect your dash from tears when removing and installing the hooks)
you want the cluster hooks to be at about where the cluster top and sides meet.. maybe a 1" lower. slide them in with the hook vertical and then turn them to grab onto the back of the cluster. carefully pull out the cluster with equal pressure on both sides of the cluster.. be careful to not just grab onto the face of the cluster as it may break and then you will need a replacement face (plastic surround)
with the cluster pulled out, press one corner of the cluster in slightly so you can get your hand into the opposite side and disconnect the connections on the back.. then do the same to the other side to get the 2nd connector.
with the cluster now disconnected.. pull the cluster back out as far as you can, tilt the cluster up slightly.. so that the peek of the cluster is slightly riding on top of the steering wheel. gently slide out the cluster.
repl the bulbs accordingly.
and reinstall.
It is tricky but it can be done.

The Long Way: for cars without telescopic steering.

Disconnect battery.. and wait 5-10 mins before working on vehicle. (justa warning to all of you, I dont want to be liable for any injuries!.. although it is not necessary to disconnect the battery, I would recommend it.)
Remove the 2 torx bolts in the back of the steering wheel.. using another MB special tool.
now disconnect the connector for the airbag.
you are now met with a Hex drive bolt in the centre of the steering wheel.. 10mm hex.. using 1/2 drive ratchet, or
using a long handled breaker bar, making sure to hold the steering wheel in place from moving.. (you may need someone to hold the steering wheel for you as you loosen the steering wheel.. you may break the steering lock if this caution isnt taken)
make an index mark of where the steering wheel is on the steering shaft splines.. also make sure your wheels are straight before removing the wheel.
now remove the steering wheel,
and then follow procedures form above on removing the cluster.
replace bulbs as necessary and reinstall..

Torque steering wheel bolt to 90 ft lbs.

Special tool part numbers:

Cluster hooks:140 589 02 33 00 x 2
Air bag removal torx bit: 126 589 00 10 00
Bulb remover tools:129 589 01 09 00, and 129 589 00 09 00.

And I will try to take pics of both ways and make a how to out of it..

J__
01-23-2005, 06:24 PM
ok i'll try that
how do i make it outta coat hanger?

macaroni
01-25-2005, 08:32 PM
How would I do this on a 99 c230k?

kendreze
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Does anyone here in the Bay Area have the MB tool? I hate to pay 15 for the tool and use it only once. Down to kick down a few bucks to borrow it.