PDA

View Full Version : removing coil?

rseerden
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Say, I have the top cover off that reveals the coil and plugs, but I dont have the proper torx socket to get the coils off. what size torx holds the coil on? I also will need to get a deep spark plug socket to get at the plugs out. What size should i get? Thanks guys. BTW Its on 00c230k.

Pagz
09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey,
Not sore what torx key size yours is,mine is just a 10mm bolt.

If it is a torx,now is the time to buy a 3/8 or 1/2" torx drive set =),male and female if you have the funds..as the car is covered in torx stuff.

As for the spark plug tools,they usually come in two sizes 16mm and 21mm...yours will use the 16mm!.thats what mine is.
Paul

c280nz
09-20-2008, 04:26 AM
^^ this man speaks the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me god:)
amen

Pagz
09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
LOL why do i get that slight sense of sarcasm=P

hahaha

rseerden
09-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks, for the help guys. I ended up getting a small Star/Torx set. I believe it ended up being an 8t I believe. I bought a slim spark plug socket and was able to get the plugs out okay. One little tip I would like to pass along to get the new plugs in is to use the coil boot, that 3.5-4 inch black boot that sits under the coil, as a thread guide. Since I was replacing the two boots anyways I just put the new spark plug into the boot just enough to hold it square, and then I hand tightened the plug using the boot as the extension. I then finished up with the socket to get them snug. This all started with a bad stumble at idle, I put a code scanner on it and got a P0302 which indicated a misfire on the second cylinder. The Plugs ended up fixing the problem. It is now smooth running. I know that I will probably be due a MAS soon as I have 92k on it now.