PDA

View Full Version : idle speed

BillKerler
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
When my 1994 C280 is warmed up and idling in neutral, it's rpm is about 750. When I put it into drive, the idle speed drops to about 600 rpm. While 150 rpm drop may not sound significant, I'm wondering if it is representative of something going bad. Like an ignition problem or a fuel problem.

My wiring harness is changed (190K miles on the car) and the plugs look excellent. The high tension spark plug wires are original but they all look so good...especially the boots look so good, its hard to believe they could be bad but man, they are old.

I have no reason to doubt my fuel injector seals or any other vacuum leaks. The car really runs strong.

My American cars never show a drop in rpm going from neutral to drive...is there something unusual about Mercedes transmissions that they drag down rpm. Does anybody out there have a C280 in which the rpm stays constant from neutral to putting it into drive?

NISMOPOWERED
10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Normal for mine also. Alot of older cars have a rpm drop with an automatic. Its the load of the transmission being in gear.

anf6789
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
mine drops, trans is putting load on the engine.