PDA

View Full Version : Stop Lamp Fuse Blowing

Rob95
10-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Hello all. I have a 2000 202 that has now started to blow the fuse for the stop lamps. Today the fuse blew for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as beyond the obvious safety issue this triggers the BAS ESP lamps.
recent issues has the car going into limp mode on occasion.

TIA

Rob

Logic
10-18-2008, 02:34 PM
are they factory installed lights? has any thing installed into the car as far as amps speakers etc installed? any wires tapped into the wires which could result into a short?

Cru328prod
10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I would like everyone to know this.......and i know this may be off subject.......but i think i've figure out why MB tail lights go out so often......if you pull out the light holder...you'll notice the plate is lose! If you take a screw driver and heat up the tip....and melt the plastic tips to hold the plate in more secure...it will stop it from moving cause the bulb to die

sdpartz
10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
I would like everyone to know this.......and i know this may be off subject.......but i think i've figure out why MB tail lights go out so often......if you pull out the light holder...you'll notice the plate is lose! If you take a screw driver and heat up the tip....and melt the plastic tips to hold the plate in more secure...it will stop it from moving cause the bulb to die That's a good idea.... Just bought a 3rd W202 and the plate on the tail lamp is loose that's the reason my bulb is out. I was considering buying the rear assembly. Thanks

97 C230
95 C220
94 C280
98 ML320

Rob95
11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
I would like everyone to know this.......and i know this may be off subject.......but i think i've figure out why MB tail lights go out so often......if you pull out the light holder...you'll notice the plate is lose! If you take a screw driver and heat up the tip....and melt the plastic tips to hold the plate in more secure...it will stop it from moving cause the bulb to die

Actually I did this to my tail light assy and now I have this fuse problem. And in answer to one of the posters there are no splices or new hardware installed in the car. It is factory stock

Cru328prod
11-11-2008, 01:52 PM
did you check all your fuses and relays? trunk and under the hood? i know the littles stupied shit like a loose wire pops fuses

OzC36
11-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Actually I did this to my tail light assy and now I have this fuse problem.

The fuse is designed to prevent excessive current from damaging the light circuit and possibly setting fire to your car.

So we could deduce from the problem of blown fuses you described that there is excessive current in your brake circuit.

This could be caused by a wrong volt/amperage globe or by a leakage of current to earth.

Since you say you have been fiddling in that area playing with hot screwdrivers, it stands to reason that you may have inadvertently caused an intermittent short circuit.

Review and reinspect the modifications that you have carried out looking for shorts.

SD202
12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
This is an extremely old thread but i just started having the same problem Ive replaced the stop lamp fuse 3 times now. I have the original tail lamps in.

strictlyspeakin
12-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Any patterns that you've noticed?

SD202
12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Any patterns that you've noticed?

It happened when I had turned the heater/defroster unit on full blast to clear up my window. other than that no reoccurring patterns other then when i drive the car it blows the stop lamp fuse over and over again. This fuse is also listed as controlling "engine components" but i have no idea which components its referring to.

strictlyspeakin
12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
The rear defroster runs thru the Combo relay. the Hazards also go thru there. Is that the fuse that is blowing? what year is your car?

SD202
12-15-2011, 11:00 AM
The rear defroster runs thru the Combo relay. the Hazards also go thru there. Is that the fuse that is blowing? what year is your car?

Its a june of 1996 C280 ,No not the rear defroster, fuse #30 in the box under the hood ( stop lamps, engine components) its a 20 amp yellow. and only controls the brake lights. and unknown engine components. hazards and everything still worked just fine when the fuse was out.

SD202
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
was the brake light switch