PDA

View Full Version : 2000 C280 has intemittent starting problems. Please Help in Diag

Rob95
11-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi all, my 2000 C280 is not starting and I need advice / help on the diagnosis and repair. IT will run but not restart. If I wait anywhere between 5 - 15 min the car will start and run between 2 minutes and 1 hour. I am considering the fuel pump and filter but these were replaced 11/07. I have my doubts that this could be the problem but I wont completely rule it out.
Is it unusual for a fuel pump to die in 12 months? I would like to check the system out. Where do you test for fuel pressure on these cars? Also could this be the Crank position sensor or is that a different set of symptoms ? I am looking for advice / procedures or other related devices that could cause this. Currently I have pulled the codes with a hand scanner and there is nothing stored or reported in the system.

Please advise

Thank you in advance

Rob

xvvvz
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
The CPS you suggested is definitely something I would check.

benztec
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
i would def go with the crank sensor first. they are so common with those symptoms even to this day on the new engines. try heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer when its cold and try to start the car. they usually fail when hot. not always a code in the car either.

SLAMMED_C
11-11-2008, 08:09 PM
to check fuel pressure, there is a service port on the fuel rail.. passenger side of the rail. just remove the engine cover and you will see it. with ignition on, you should see 3.5-4 bar, and of course when running you should see close to 4 bar pressure.
next thing I would look at is the mas, and last common thing is the crank sensor.
does your starting issue only happen when cold? after driving for some time. crank sensors seem to fail when hot only from my experiences. so after driving for a while it will just cut out.. and you will not be able to restart for maybe 20 minutes.. until the sensor has cooled enough.
benztec is correct, crank sensors usually dont give fault codes.

Rob95
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Problem was when the car was warmed up. Turned out to be the CPS. According to the indi that I use there was a stored code pointing to this device. All seems to be well again. Not bad for a car with 330,000 miles huh!

Thx

Rob

JRE320
11-13-2008, 08:47 AM
[ Not bad for a car with 330,000 miles huh!

Thx

Rob [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn!!! and your car is C280 2000. That's a lot of mileage.
Mine is C280 1995 and it got 196,000 miles and I'm thought I
was doing a record here. :D

Rob95
11-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Tell me about it. My wife does most of the driving. This coupled with my 95 Cobra at 225K I could have driven round trip to the moon with spare mileage to go cross Planet to Africa!

Rob.