PDA

View Full Version : Whats the right coolant level in resrvoir?

alpine951
11-28-2008, 07:19 AM
My wifes complained about her 98 C230 taking a long time to put out heat in the cold mornings. I have been driving it the past few days and the temp gauge was stuck at 40. I think its supposed to be around 80 right? I just popped in a new tstat. I didn't bother to check the reservoir level before I pulled off the upper radiator hose and old tstat. After putting the new one in and all the hoses back I noticed the reservoir was half empty. I checked the manual and it doesn't say what is the correct level when cold. Anyone know?

JRE320
11-28-2008, 09:10 AM
All I know is the heat will take some time to kick in. It's not like when you start the car from cold, it will kick in the heat right away. Tell your wife that she need to warm up the engine first. :rolleyes:

1995c280
11-28-2008, 09:44 AM
exactly, if your anywhere where it's really cold in the mornings...don't expect heat for the first 10-15 minutes.

as far as the coolant level in the reservoir. leave the cap off and warm the car up all the way and fill it to the top.

SOLUTION to heat problem = remote start system

alpine951
11-28-2008, 04:41 PM
After the new tstat the car is now running at just over 80 on the temp gauge so that is good.

Regarding solution to heat problem = remote start.....

Ahmm.... So what system is there that works for a 1998 C230. This car has that laser key. Is there a system that works and doesn't cost $3k?

RemoLexi
11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
im glad a new tstat fixed the temp problem. as far as the level goes just fill it to the cap and the car will spit out any "extra" fluid when it heats up. it has an excess drain tube btw.

I would personally not recomend any auto-start systems simply because they are more prone to any problems in the future that seems like thats the last thing anyone needs.

I believe Mercedes anti theft system is a little more complicated and since 98's have DAS 3 (smart keys) you would somehow need to fool the EIS into sensing that the smart key is plugged into the EIS unit (where your key plugs into) so im not too sure about what remote start systems they have out there that are compatible with our smart keys (DAS3)

just take the 10mins to leave the car running or wear a jacket until its warm.

OzC36
12-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Autostart sequence...

1. Wife puts on coffee to brew.
2. Husband goes out and starts her car.
3. When coffee and toast is ready, wife kisses husband and goes to warm car and drives.
4. Husband considers his brilliance with easy fix while consuming coffee and toast.

RemoLexi
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by OzC36
Autostart sequence...

1. Wife puts on coffee to brew.
2. Husband goes out and starts her car.
3. When coffee and toast is ready, wife kisses husband and goes to warm car and drives.
4. Husband considers his brilliance with easy fix while consuming coffee and toast.

how about husband sleeps and wife goes to work driving a bone cold car. ;) hehe jkjk

harryt
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Tell her to wear some gloves. My ex would wear her gloves for 10mins at the most, by then the car was warm.

Or park in sealed garage and get a oil pan heater.