PDA

View Full Version : OEM Xenon lamp replacement

Polestar
12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
My passenger side Xenon lamp flickers when turned on and then goes out. When I look up replacement for lamp I find pn# 2028203861 and a price of $1600.

First, if I'm getting a flicker, could it be a ballast or another part of the system?

Second, is there a way around this repair by switching both headlamps out for a less expensive headlamp system?

Thanks

Logic
12-28-2008, 07:45 PM
1600 for a replacement lamp or the whole thing? from what i seen in these forums when guys replace there factory lamps with aftermarket ones there a 1/4 of the price you said . can you just replace the ones you have with those?

Polestar
12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
What are the components of the system?
Lens, bulb, ballast...... I assume $1600 is for all components. I'm sure some of you have dealt with this before. Advice??

jnolte
12-28-2008, 10:53 PM
mine will flicker also and go out so sometimes I have to switch them off and back on its really annoying. I replaced the HID bulb and it did not solve the problem, im thinking its the ballast.

Polestar
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
jnolte, do you work on your car yourself, or take it to someone?

I used to take it to Ernie Schmidt of Automeister II in Issaquah. Thinking of heading up there again (Live in Lakewood).

I'm going to switch bulbs with the good side to see if it's just the bulb. ??? Why does the Bosch OEM HID cost $1600 per side?!
I like HID, but not that much.

SLAMMED_C
12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I would first try swapping bulbs from side to side to see if the problem moves.. if it doesnt move, its going to be a faulty ballast.
the $1600 price you have is for an entire headlight with the ballast. you should be able to pick up just a ballast for around $400-600 (just a guess). but for half that price you can get a wicked aftermarket HID kit to replace the stock ballasts and bulbs.

Polestar
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I would first try swapping bulbs from side to side to see if the problem moves.. if it doesnt move, its going to be a faulty ballast.
the $1600 price you have is for an entire headlight with the ballast. you should be able to pick up just a ballast for around $400-600 (just a guess). but for half that price you can get a wicked aftermarket HID kit to replace the stock ballasts and bulbs.

Thanks!:)

What aftermarket HID kit are you recommending? If I need a ballast, I'm ready to get out of the OEM HID set-up. In fact, since the bulb cost $120-$200 for the OEM set up, I might just do the replacement kit right now; if it's under $300.

SLAMMED_C
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Polestar
Thanks!:)

What aftermarket HID kit are you recommending? If I need a ballast, I'm ready to get out of the OEM HID set-up. In fact, since the bulb cost $120-$200 for the OEM set up, I might just do the replacement kit right now; if it's under $300.
yeh exactly.. with OEM ballasts at $400-600 dollars and OEM bulbs at $150-200 EACH, for the price of probably one OEM bulb you could have a nice HID kit in there.. with replacement bulbs at $30-45 dollars!
Im using a Beamers HID kit.. 8000K. its really nice. no issues at all so far, had the kit in for almost 6 months maybe. my kit was under $200.

Polestar
12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
yeh exactly.. for the price of probably one OEM bulb you could have a nice HID kit in there.. with replacement bulbs at $30-45 dollars!
Im using a Beamers HID kit.. 8000K. its really nice. no issues at all so far, had the kit in for almost 6 months maybe. my kit was under $200.

Excellent! Thanks!

Polestar
01-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Bulb is the culprit. Since I'm able to find replacement bulbs as low as $65, I'm sticking with the OEM set up.

Any opinions on bulbs? Xenon bulbs typically last a very long time ( I'm replacing the bulb on year 10 and suspect it's the first replacement), so I'm tempted to go with the least expensive-Heliolite. Also, I've read some who say one needs to replace both bulbs or they will look different. Is it typical to change both bulbs?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Instruktor/pic115221-1.jpg
Heliolite from eautoworks.com $64.33

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Instruktor/W01331610239OSR.jpg
Sylvania from oemparts.com $109.95

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Instruktor/910139000000.jpg
Flosser from autohausaz.com $85.20

DirectLA
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Bulbs are generally replaced in pairs as they dim slightly over time, this ensures they match perfectly on the road. Also, it may be difficult to match the color temperatures (notated in degrees) which is something that was driving me crazy earlier today when I noticed the VW Passat driving behind me had one yellowish and one white bulb.

Polestar
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DirectLA
Bulbs are generally replaced in pairs as they dim slightly over time, this ensures they match perfectly on the road. Also, it may be difficult to match the color temperatures (notated in degrees) which is something that was driving me crazy earlier today when I noticed the VW Passat driving behind me had one yellowish and one white bulb.

Thanks. I went with the Heliolite bulbs for $65ea. I did replace R/L. Bulbs shine bright! no complaints-but they're new.