PDA

View Full Version : 1995 c-220 fuel tank sending unit

motorboat
12-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Could anyone tell me whats involved with replacing the fuel sensors in the tank? They ( 2 of them) are not working too well and do not tell me the right amount of gas in the tank (ie) the gauge needle goes up and down. Thank all of you!

illusionaryline
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
i have the same problem, shits me up the wall.

timmyj51
01-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Have replied to this elsewhere. MB put out a TSB on this
problem, pointing out that a faulty fuel gauge is often caused by a pinch/break in
the fuel sending unit wire (NOT the sending unit itself) where it
threads under the back seat. Would have your mechanic
check this before anything else.

SLAMMED_C
01-02-2009, 11:47 PM
the fuel sending units are located under the vehicle under 2 small plastic covers on either side of the tank.
they are removed by a special mercedes tool (or im sure you could make your own), and you need to drain the tank of all fuel or YOU WILL WEAR IT when you try and remove the sending units!
you could have a fault code stored for fuel sending units.. also note some problems have been with faulty clusters as well, the actual gas gauge not working.

stox
01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
FYI: The tool can be found on eBay for $39.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170139765562&viewitem=

Mitchamus
08-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Man this shits me up the wall... So annoying having to remember the last fill up etc. Seems like there could be too many ways it could be stuffing up and too much of a hastle.

Abdullah
08-20-2011, 06:49 AM
A few days ago, i thought my car broke down again after getting it out the shop, but i just found out the car ran of gas because of this same damn problem.

horgantrevor
08-20-2011, 12:29 PM
hi guys easy fix under the car rear in front of wheels you have two units under black plastic cover

in europe only one send the signal i bet its the same in US in europe its the passenger side the left hand side if i was at the back of the car looking forward you know we drive on the other side and all that

one sender has a electrical feed that is the one needing change

their is a part it the sender that can wear very easy over time

if you dont have a removal tool make one but in the past i have sprayed the clamp with wd40 and and left a while to do its work

one prob the ring you are removing is a different metal to the sender and it wont come off easy to a tool will help a lot

i have used a long flat screw driver and tapped the ring off in the past but only when i was stuck and i had a new ring to replace it after one out undo two plastic pipes and clip on to working sender and put back in

do the reverse to finish if the tank is low on fuel it helps but if the car is put on its side all the fuel will drain to second half of the two tanks

hope this helps

job could be a hour or 3 hours all depends if that ring wants to come off and if you have the removal tool

horgantrevor
08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
here is a image of the tank

Jay Gibbs
08-23-2013, 07:25 AM
hi guys easy fix under the car rear in front of wheels you have two units under black plastic cover

in europe only one send the signal i bet its the same in US in europe its the passenger side the left hand side if i was at the back of the car looking forward you know we drive on the other side and all that

one sender has a electrical feed that is the one needing change

their is a part it the sender that can wear very easy over times...

job could be a hour or 3 hours all depends if that ring wants to come off and if you have the removal tool

Just an hour to three hours to replace???...I am in the process of getting the sending units replaced on my '94 C280 and was told by my shop that it requires complete removal of the rear subframe and fuel tank with an estimate of NINE hours labor to complete!!??? So what is the truth about this replacement?

J.G.

andy_1100
09-18-2014, 07:47 AM
I see this is an older thread, but i wanted to add my note here. Might help some one save some $$$.
Erratic guel gauge problems???, sometimes works sometimes it doesn't? Don't rush to change your sending units in the tank... first try using Seafoam fuel system threatment, I had this problem on the 1995 C280 that I've purchased recently, it had only 125k km, so it looks like it sat most of the time in the garage in storage. Added a full bottle of Seafoam to the tank and a full tank of 94 octane premium gas. After 3-4 days the gauge is back to normal.
So, try this first, there's no harm even if it will not fix your sending units, it will clean yourinjectors.
Good luck.

Sulaco
09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
I see this is an older thread, but i wanted to add my note here. Might help some one save some $$$.
Erratic guel gauge problems???, sometimes works sometimes it doesn't? Don't rush to change your sending units in the tank... first try using Seafoam fuel system threatment, I had this problem on the 1995 C280 that I've purchased recently, it had only 125k km, so it looks like it sat most of the time in the garage in storage. Added a full bottle of Seafoam to the tank and a full tank of 94 octane premium gas. After 3-4 days the gauge is back to normal.
So, try this first, there's no harm even if it will not fix your sending units, it will clean yourinjectors.
Good luck.

Great find! Will do this to my 99 C43!

kowalski
09-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Good luck.

what is Seafoam?
is it a cleaner for fueltank sensors?

sometimes i use STP Injector Trim or the Cleaner version, my car pulls like a train all the time
my fuelgauge still works great after 15 years of wear n tear

andy_1100
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM
seafoam, there are few - fuel system cleaner, motor and transmission, see below

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/