PDA

View Full Version : Broken Front Spring/Coil

roundeler
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I was wondering what was creaking in the front passenger wheel. I cranked the wheels for a right turn and looked to see the spring bowing out bowing out at me and my heart skipped a beat. The spring was resting on the front sway bar. I was thinking don't put any weight on the hood with your body because pop!

Anyway, where is a good place to find a stock spring for a 2000 C280 Sport? It seems other people have had this happen to them before on w202 from what I have read.

Any suggestions on damage control when jacking up the vehicle? I have done springs before but have heard some bad stories about springs unloading. I have a couple of spring compressors and chilton manual or something like that.

Thanks,

Mark

mazdalowandslow
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
So how was the meet?

roundeler
05-17-2009, 06:15 PM
The Top Spring cup was torn out/rusted out of the wheel well wall. $30 part that I had welded at a body shop. Couldn't believe what I saw when I jacked up the car. The Spring was ready to explode out. Glad I didn't drive it far! Got new springs at buymbparts.com

RemoLexi
05-17-2009, 08:37 PM
This is something that ive read about before. My advice is maybe find some sort of anti-rust rubberized coating ?

Thanks God we in CA dont see stuff like that.

benzonline
05-17-2009, 11:56 PM
This shit worries me. Im guessing its the spring "perch" as they call it....seperated from its weld onto the frame of the car?

The W210 E-class is notorious for this problem.

JRE320
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
This shit worries me. Im guessing its the spring "perch" as they call it....seperated from its weld onto the frame of the car?

The W210 E-class is notorious for this problem.

Don't say that!!! :eek: :eek: Now I'm scared... :eek: