PDA

View Full Version : Hill holder/incline lock problem

DirectLA
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Posted this at benzworld also, hoping 202 folks will have an answer.

I tried a search but my lack of proper terminology for the feature seems to be hampering me.

When the transmission is in "S" mode it locks when stopped on an incline so that it won't roll backwards into another car, hence "hill holder". lol When switched into "W" mode it doesn't have this feature as is normal. Today I was on a steep hill and noticed to my surprise the feature wasn't functioning. I switched between W and S modes a couple of times when on even ground again but didn't change anything. Recently I took the car in for an unknown coolant smell but they couldn't find anything wrong, so I'm wondering if the feature is somehow affected by a vacuum line that maybe was knocked loose during service or some other scenario or if it's totally a mechanical function of the transmission.

Anyone else lose this function or know why it isn't working?

Edit: I also read that if the MAF goes out the "S" mode doesn't work in forward gear, could this be it if I am experiencing no other symptoms of a failed MAF? Anyone know where the post was that explained how to clean a MAF rather than replace? I found a few where people discussed cleaning but not actually how they did it.

DirectLA
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Remapped transmission and the hill holder function is again working. For the record, it seems to function only in W mode, not S. Others have said this is the same for them but at least one other person told me it works in both modes. Curious what other members experiences are.