PDA

View Full Version : Skeaky- grinding brakes??? HELP!!!

mike mac
04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
his is maybe the 6th time ive been doing the brakes myself on my baby benz. so im very familiar with it, its so simple my 13year old sister could do it with out any prior experiance.

heres the problem, i just did SS brake lines all around. this shouldnt be a factor in my problem, but who knows.

I also replaced my front pads and rotors.
the pads are EBC Brakes and the rotors are some other after market but known brand ( i think Baer). i also just replaced my rear pads and left my rear rotors because thery are okay. my front pads are squealing like a P.O.S. truck in new york city traffic, they are LOUD!
its becoming more frequent, im hearing a grinding sound like the pad an rotor s aren't meshing right more frequently.

i have a few theory's about this but any experience with this? ideas?

i have the pads and rotors broken in and seated properly. I never use that pad grease stuff( dont see a point in it if the pad moves 2MM) never had any issues out of all the changes I do/ did.

someone told me i may have defective pads??? they said there may be a hairline crack in the pads and it results in that harmonic sound.....but what explains the grinding sound??

at first i thought that grinding and squeaking was unuasal but i was just thinking the pads still needed to be broken in harder. ive had the pads and rotors on for about 400 miles now, it should have gone away by now!!

i got the pads and rotors in October, got a good deal on them. i Just mounted them last weekend. is there a possibility the pads are old or something?

it stops the car but its embarrassing especially from a benz, and a modded benz at that. almost makes me want to forget brakes even exist.

HELP!!!

xvvvz
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I think the brakes still need to be bedded in more. Assuming they aren't bedded in (and often even when they are bedded in) and you didn't use the MB brake paste paste, you are getting the squeaking from the brakes. Non-bedded in brakes are more likely to cause noise, so I think you are in a bit of circle for cause and effect without the paste.

Did you do something like this to bed in your brakes?

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

If not, do it right away before you get uneven glazing on the pads.

Logic
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
i had a issue with my back brakes when i replaced the rotors with zimmer and they used a ceramic pad.... brake paste is a must because the pad will cause a huge squeek sound . its the metal to metal contact when the brake is applied. brakes plus did the job since i knew the manager . when i took it back he told me paste was used but they changed the pads to different ones and it went a way. he said the pads they used were formulated specifically for my car when basically went to a semi metallic pad and the squeek went away. this may not be your issue but i thought i would throw it your way....

jnolte
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes by 400 miles they are broken in. Something is not seated right.. go back and check everything

mike mac
04-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
I think the brakes still need to be bedded in more. Assuming they aren't bedded in (and often even when they are bedded in) and you didn't use the MB brake paste paste, you are getting the squeaking from the brakes. Non-bedded in brakes are more likely to cause noise, so I think you are in a bit of circle for cause and effect without the paste.

Did you do something like this to bed in your brakes?

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

If not, do it right away before you get uneven glazing on the pads.

did it, i guess ill try the paste

Pagz
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I bed in my stoptech kit as per the instructions,worked flawlessly(~5000km's) just recently they have started to squeek...i agree very frustrating!...maybe they get rusty to often from all that cleaning?:D

Unlikely but did you remove the rust inhibitor before the install??When i first replaced my brakes years back i never did...ops.

mike mac
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I bed in my stoptech kit as per the instructions,worked flawlessly(~5000km's) just recently they have started to squeek...i agree very frustrating!...maybe they get rusty to often from all that cleaning?:D

Unlikely but did you remove the rust inhibitor before the install??When i first replaced my brakes years back i never did...ops.

Ha, what rust inhibitor, shouldn't that wear away if there is something on the rotors or pads?

Pagz
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mike mac
Ha, what rust inhibitor, shouldn't that wear away if there is something on the rotors or pads?

Na it clogs the pads and causes poor uneven run in,your ment to remove the rust inhibitor with soapy water before install.

Edit:

Quote from stoptech install guide on CLK:

"Warning: Do not skip this step!
Even though the rotors may look clean, the rust
inhibitor is in place, and it must be removed.
Not cleaning the rotors will severely impact the
performance of the brake system."

1995c280
04-17-2009, 03:14 PM
remove the pads and sand the surface with a piece of emery cloth. then use the emery cloth and round all edges of the pads. they come to a point when they are made an you should bevel the edges to make them round. apply brake paste to the back and then re-installed. that should help.

Denlasoul
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
What EBC compound are your pads?

Red or Green?