PDA

View Full Version : Evap Leak Help Needed

OCKlasse
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
A little introduction into this saga. I hit a very big pothole coming back from LAX a year ago at which point my check engine light came on (is it a clue if my check engine came on before my flashing fuel light ever did?). I checked the code and it was P0455, which is of course is the evap leak code.

I was pretty certain I knew what it was. My car has hydraulic suspension, and when it's all the way down, it completely destroyed the hose coming from the charcoal canister. I have since rerouted that line away from harm, but I am still getting the flashing fuel light / check engine light.

I have a 1998 C230, and when I use my VIN under EPC, the older charcoal canister diagram comes up (202 476 09 59). However, when I actually the removed the driver rear liner, I discovered that I in fact have the newer charcoal canister (202 476 10 59).

Here's where it gets a little bizarre. Upon researching on this board, I am fairly certain that it could be the charcoal canister shutoff valve. But mine is nowhere to be seen!

DonB's thread (Mercedes Shop) shows his clearly where it should be:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34405&d=1151976033

But mine does not have one there! Does this mean my car is a hybrid of the newer and older systems? Could that valve be located elsewhere? His is a Komp while mine is NA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I checked the purge valve and it is pulsating which leads me to believe that it's fine.

SLAMMED_C
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
now thats a bit of a problem!
so when you remove the fender liner, what do you have there? nothing at all? is there a hose at all?
all our cars have the shut off valve (white valve) its a pretty important item in the purge system!
can you take a pic of the spot where the shut off valve should be?! was it maybe moved when you did the hydraulics for you suspension?
you should indeed have one.

OCKlasse
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
now thats a bit of a problem!
so when you remove the fender liner, what do you have there? nothing at all? is there a hose at all?
all our cars have the shut off valve (white valve) its a pretty important item in the purge system!
can you take a pic of the spot where the shut off valve should be?! was it maybe moved when you did the hydraulics for you suspension?
you should indeed have one.

To answer a few of the questions:

I will take a pic for you. I have removed the liner and the part number on my charcoal canister is the updated model one. When you look in the charcoal canister area, all that is seen is the charcoal canister and the hoses running off of it.

I did the hydraulic install, so I know it wasn't moved ;)

I'll take a pic for you some time this week.

SLAMMED_C
04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
To answer a few of the questions:

I will take a pic for you. I have removed the liner and the part number on my charcoal canister is the updated model one. When you look in the charcoal canister area, all that is seen is the charcoal canister and the hoses running off of it.

I did the hydraulic install, so I know it wasn't moved ;)

I'll take a pic for you some time this week.
hmmm.. very interesting!
do you have access to a star diagnosis? you can run a purge system test to check the purge system. eliminating things one at a time to find out where its leaking. the charcoal canister shut off valve is turned on and off with the star, so you would know for sure if you had one... somewhere!
did it maybe get ripped off? with driving low or anything.
post a pic though of your fender so I can maybe get a look!