PDA

View Full Version : Starting up requires a little gas

sensoryx
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

This isn't really a problem for me, but I'm a little worried its a sign of things to come.

When I start up my car (turn the ignition), I always have to give it a little gas (a few revs) to start the car or else it gets stuck. Stuck as in I have to turn the key and start the ignition again.
What's the reason for this. It happens from time to time but too often. It has something to do with the rpm meter as well (thus having to rev it past a point to start the car)
I hope I'm not confusing anyone, just don't know the technichal terms to use.

Section 8
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
hi

my pre update always did this from 100k plus miles i do 40k more doing the same thing it was programmed into me to turn it and to blip the throttle just a bit. it never caused me any problems... hows the car running anyway in general..

SLAMMED_C
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
It could be the start of a bad MAS.

xvvvz
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Might look at the fuel pressure regulator if it is still the original.

sensoryx
04-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the repies guys. I think I might leave it alone for now though cause the car is running fine. Don't want to mess with the internals.

Here's something else that's wierd probably the gearbox? When I change gears from, for example, P to D its no longer sitting where the letter is, I would have to push it back a little before it can get into gear.

1995c280
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
did you have your shifter bushings replaced recently? there are 3 causes that could be your problem:

1. shifter bushings are worn and/or missing (does the shifter feel loose.)
2. you had them replaced and they bent the rod (shifter linkage) with a pry bar trying to install the new bushings.
3. the jam nut on the rod (shifter linkage) turned when they were installing the new bushings. there is an adjustment on this rod which connects the shifter to the tranny selector.

one of these will fix your problem.