PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leaking somewhere

dr_npz
04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Hello everybody,
i drive a 98 c240 and have a problem. My coolant is probably leaking somewhere, but only when the A/C is on. I drove the car whole winter with A/C turned off and the coolant was all the time at the same level. But suddenly, when i turned the A/C on this spring, the coolant must be leaking somewhere, because level off the coolant decreased pretty a lot during a week.

I would appreciate any help and suggestions from all of you.

Thanks

Pagz
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Have you noticed any puddles of antifreeze under the car?

Im pretty sure if you had a leak inside the cabin you would find it around your feet or draining out where moisture does when it condenses on the exchangers.

c280nz
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
and im not sure what you mean also, because engine coolant an a/c (airconditioning) are not connected, the engine coolant goes through the heater core in the car when u use the heater, and the a.c uses a gas to cool, like 23k said do u get puddles under your car when you park, and does the engine oil look ok? not cloudy

dr_npz
04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
The problem is, that i don't have any puddles under the car, nor have i noticed a leak inside a cabin. I know, that the a/c is not connected with the engine coolant, but it is really strange. Whole winter, the engine coolant level did not decrease a single 1mm. But last week, i turned the a/c on, and somehow, some part of the coolant disappeared or i don't have any other issue, what is going on.
Last summer i had the same problem, and i had to refill the coolant every two or three weeks with some small amount, because a check coolant level light came on. My mechanics had an issue, that it is leaking around the heater somewhere, because it was wet there. However as soon as they dried the place and refilled the coolant, they told me to comeback in a week. But from that time it was dry everywhere and the coolant level was ok. Untill now, when i turned the a/c on again. The coolant level is decreasing and i dont have any idea, what it could be.

Anyway, thanks for your help and replies.

jeff-abalone
06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
The problem is, that i don't have any puddles under the car, nor have i noticed a leak inside a cabin. I know, that the a/c is not connected with the engine coolant, but it is really strange. Whole winter, the engine coolant level did not decrease a single 1mm. But last week, i turned the a/c on, and somehow, some part of the coolant disappeared or i don't have any other issue, what is going on.
Last summer i had the same problem, and i had to refill the coolant every two or three weeks with some small amount, because a check coolant level light came on. My mechanics had an issue, that it is leaking around the heater somewhere, because it was wet there. However as soon as they dried the place and refilled the coolant, they told me to comeback in a week. But from that time it was dry everywhere and the coolant level was ok. Untill now, when i turned the a/c on again. The coolant level is decreasing and i dont have any idea, what it could be.

Anyway, thanks for your help and replies.

Want to know that what problem did you find at the end? Is it heater core leaking? My C220 seems to have the same problem recently.

SD202
06-10-2014, 10:19 AM
holy thread revival batman.