PDA

View Full Version : reinforced C36 head-gasket

M104-AMG
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Since there is neither a Factory (OE) , nor OEM or aftermarket, C36-specific headgasket (fire-rings are 1mm larger), with the proper reinforcements so the head-gasket doesn't receded over time, I have contacted Cometic gasket to see if they could produce one.

If you're interested, please comment on this thread.

Thanks!

OzC36
05-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll buy one thanks!

Markland556
06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
very interested! one that lowers compression for when the boost comes

mike mac
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a 1997 C280. i replaced the headgasket 50k miles ago and its blown again. i know there the same block as the c36 but i dont know if theres a copper gasket or something that would last longer than the OEM rubber gasket. maybe i can have a future project of boost and i dont have to worry about the headgasket blowing anytime soon. another words i dont want to replace it again and have it last for the rest of the life of the car.

so does anyone have any good ideas and places to buy a gasket like this?

M104-AMG
01-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by mike mac
I have a 1997 C280. i replaced the headgasket 50k miles ago and its blown again. i know there the same block as the c36 but i dont know if theres a copper gasket or something that would last longer than the OEM rubber gasket. maybe i can have a future project of boost and i dont have to worry about the headgasket blowing anytime soon. another words i dont want to replace it again and have it last for the rest of the life of the car.

so does anyone have any good ideas and places to buy a gasket like this?

Mike-

the C280 and C36 head-gaskets ARE DIFFERENT technically, not just a part-number change.

The C36 headgasket has about 1mm LARGER rings. Also it does NOT have the metal reinforcements that the updated C280 and E320 headgaskets have from either Mercedes or Elring.

Make sure your tech/mechanic is using the updated head-gasket from either Mercedes or Elring.

50K miles is just about right. Normally, they don't blow, they just start to leak oil down the block, NOT into the coolant passages. If this is the case, just replace the headgasket, don't do a valve-job, etc.

Also, make sure you change your coolant every 2-years and use only the Mercedes anti-freeze or Zerex G-05 coolant.

:-) neil

M104-AMG
01-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Quick update:

Yes, Cometic can make one.

Min. run is 10-pieces at about $450/gasket, which covers tooling-cost as well.

However, here's the clincher: they will NOT make one unless someone can send them a block and head to measure for 2-weeks.

I even sent them a NEW C36 head-gasket, and no dice with just that.

:-( neil

mike mac
01-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by M104-AMG
Quick update:

Yes, Cometic can make one.

Min. run is 10-pieces at about $450/gasket, which covers tooling-cost as well.

However, here's the clincher: they will NOT make one unless someone can send them a block and head to measure for 2-weeks.

I even sent them a NEW C36 head-gasket, and no dice with just that.

:-( neil

So what are the cometic Gaskets made out of and why do you think they are better or how will it be different from the untrusworthy OEM Gasket. sorry to sound like a Noob but i never heard of the company.

M104-AMG
01-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by mike mac
So what are the cometic Gaskets made out of and why do you think they are better or how will it be different from the untrusworthy OEM Gasket. sorry to sound like a Noob but i never heard of the company.

http://www.cometic.com/faq.aspx

:-) neil