PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey Batteries

C230KSPORT00
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey guys. I put this is the Performance Section b/c I would want to be getting one of these batteries for the weight reduction. Okay so I made a thread on "Hp increase" a while back. "c55m8o" a member on here gave me this link for these much lighter batterties http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925series.htm
Can you guys tell me which battery would be the lightest and would still be able to work with my car? There is a local dealer so I could get my hands on one of these pretty easily. Thanks again guys :D

c55m8o
05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Just a side note...I've grown to hate mine.

Seems they hate winter and won't hold a charge through the winter if you don't drive the car every day or a few times a week. If you don't check the battery level and go to start the car with the battery too low, it causes irreparable damage within the battery, reducing the amount of charge it'll hold in warm weather.

I don't drive the car a lot, and the battery goes down to 0 in about a month in sub-freezing weather. So deep that even the special (expensive) Ultimizer charger you need to charge them won't charge it. I had to jump it from my 560SL for about an hour before I could start it. I then kept the Ultimizer charger on it in trickle mode for the remainder of the winter.

Now that the average temp is around 60 degrees or above, it goes down to about 75% charge within 2 or 3 days and seems to hold there. It does go to 100% capacity within a few minutes. (I'll remind you of the irreparable damage I mentioned before) ...and this, being my 2nd one of these things. the 1st one is totally dead.

With that said for the record for any readers who come along, as I see you're in Florida, you should never have this experience. ;) It'll probably work great and hold a charge for many months with the car idle if ever needed.

C230KSPORT00
05-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks for your information and personal experience C55. I do drive the
car pretty much everyday. The longest ill go without is like three days unless I'm out of town or
something. But since you said one of these batteries will work no problem down here, would you happen to know which one is the lightest and will still function correctly? I emailed a local dealer but I haven't gotten a response. Besides, I think I trust your opinions more than those guys lol. Thanks

Logic
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
the way i see it go with a battery thats going to suit your needs....even tho you are trying to go with weight reduction you also have to factor in CCA 's . the more cracking amps the thicker the plates are in the battery which may make for a heaver battery but that battery will aid also in big audio systems . so again factoring things on the car will tell you what battery you may need verses the actual weight the battery will be ... so deducing the weight of the battery will that be the best choice in your application?

C230KSPORT00
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Well I don't have a system and I ever did want to change anything it would just be the headunit. Everything electrical is stock except for the HIDs. So would getting this smaller lighter battery hurt me?

C230KSPORT00
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Hmmm.. So why is it different to mount then the original battery? Whats the use for the battery box? It would still mount in the trunk wouldnt it? Thanks Omey
You mean this one?? http://www.tnrbatteries.com/odpc17.html
Seems like its really small, only 15lbs!! It says here that its used for motorcycles..?

c280nz
05-09-2009, 04:54 PM
shit thats a small battery, only 220cca, go for one around 300-400cca

crazy00c230k
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
i wouldn't do it, i have friends with hondas and other japanese cars that used to have these batteries and ended up going back to normal size ones. like c55mo said they don't hold a charge very well, and if they weren't suited for my friend's civic i doubt they will perform well in our cars, 202s draw quite a bit of power.

stox
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
There is a reason Mercedes chose such a large battery for the W202, it helps balance the car. Take out that weight, and you become nose heavy. This might not be the case for the I4 engined cars, though.

C230KSPORT00
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
WHat do you think Omey?

c55m8o
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you knew which Odyssey was the one to use, and were asking about alternatives to it.... I use the PC925, and would never myself and don't recommend anyone else go smaller.

I was even considering I'd be a glutton for punishment and buy a 3rd. The next size up used to be a big one almost as big as the MB battery. But they've since added a slightly larger one between the two; which I wish I had. But won't do it until this is totally dead; and now that I've been burt twice, I'm going to keep it on the charger more often and thru the winter from now on.

I just use large white packing foam (expandable polystyrene) I break to the right size and jam it tight so it doesn't move. The battery is so small the (+) and (-) leads have to be stretched and that in itself holds it in place front-ta-back. All you really have to prevent motion wise is that it doesn't tilt and hit the (+) to the steel. ;)

Regarding what stox said. Yes and no.

Yes: The 5.4L torque seriously misses the weight. Tough to get traction when the temp isn't warm. (smaller engine owners ignore :D) Instead, it's a goof to just keep the tranni on 'W' and (for me) lazily take off from a redlight faster than most everyone else; or when you're the same speed as another car, they shift from 1st to 2nd and you're just chuging along @ the same rate already in 2nd with 2500 rpm to go and leave them behind on the shift.

No: Caring about turning and outfitted with Jeff's suspension, the car's much more balanced and better handling without the ultra heavy weight sitting outside the rear tire.

C230KSPORT00
05-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Hmmm. So does anyone know the weight of the stock battery?

c55m8o
05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted a while back.

btw, you want the weight fully charged or dead?

(lol)

I have one of each (stock & odyssey) sitting outside the car. If I remember tomorrow, I'll weigh'm. (well, just read one of my posts, odyssey is 26lbs)

C230KSPORT00
05-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah the stock battery weight is 43lbs. So Im really not loosing all that much weight as I thought..

c55m8o
05-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
Yeah the stock battery weight is 43lbs. So Im really not loosing all that much weight as I thought.. I thought it was in the 50s (at least the one I have). I'll have to remember to weigh it tomorrow.

C230KSPORT00
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
I thought it was in the 50s (at least the one I have). I'll have to remember to weigh it tomorrow. I went on the Interstate Battery website and found the exact model and checked out the specs. It says 43lbs on there.. Different when charged??

c55m8o
05-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
I went on the Interstate Battery website and found the exact model and checked out the specs. It says 43lbs on there.. Different when charged?? lol... um, no ! :p (You know I was just kidding, right?)

I just weighed the MB battery I have sitting there, 51.4 lbs. Reweighed the Odyssey, 23lbs even. Saving the near 30 lbs -- especially as that's the part of the battery that sits the furthest point in the rear of the car, as the (+) line is short so the Odyssey battery sits at the most forward point in the battery well so that the (+) line can reach it -- it makes a noticeable difference.

C230KSPORT00
05-17-2009, 07:39 AM
30 lbs sounds nice

omeyhomey
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
stock battery can be up to 62lbs depending on which model making for significant potential weight savings.

yes the PC680 is excellent if you live in warm weather environtment. In normal temps its actually more powerful than the stock battery, engine cranks instantly after one crank, thats it. On stock battery the engine has to crank 3-6 times sometimes just to get started.

If you use the PC680 properly, its all the battery you will ever need. If you live in snowy weather... then its not for you. My suggestion is just move to warmer climate ;)

Even in almost freezing temps the car would still start (although it would take a few more cranks than usual). As long as the car is your daily drive and you drive it more than once a week in relatively warm weather you should be fine. The more you drive the car the colder the climate can be.

Stock mounts do not work for the PC680 b/c its so small (its the size of a Stereo Headunit to give you a better idea).

C230KSPORT00
05-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Jesus! Its really that small? A headunit and it still works with the 202. Pretty impressive. What would you do to mount the PC680 Omey? Use the packaging foam plates like C55 said?? I would really like to consider this. Thanks guys :D

Logic
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
stock battery can be up to 62lbs depending on which model making for significant potential weight savings.

yes the PC680 is excellent if you live in warm weather environtment. In normal temps its actually more powerful than the stock battery, engine cranks instantly after one crank, thats it. On stock battery the engine has to crank 3-6 times sometimes just to get started.

If you use the PC680 properly, its all the battery you will ever need. If you live in snowy weather... then its not for you. My suggestion is just move to warmer climate ;)

Even in almost freezing temps the car would still start (although it would take a few more cranks than usual). As long as the car is your daily drive and you drive it more than once a week in relatively warm weather you should be fine. The more you drive the car the colder the climate can be.

Stock mounts do not work for the PC680 b/c its so small (its the size of a Stereo Headunit to give you a better idea).

if the battery is that small i wouldn't recommend doing anything electrically as far as system,( this thing is as small as a motor cycle battery ) upgraded electrical add ons to this battery. yes your trying to take weight off but something that small may resort to problems running things in the car like a/c lights and other things at the same time. realistically all the battery does is start the car, 2nd functions is to filter ac ripple and help in some cases the alternator is being over driven. i myself was looking in to this battery but its 61 pounds which in most cases is about the same weight as the factory.... whats good about it is a deep cycle type battery with great storage capacity. Stinger SPV70 Dry Cell Battery 70ah Yellow
Specs:
* 1050 Amp Power Series Dry Cell Battery w/ Protective Steel Case for Systems up to 2100W
* Heavy-duty battery with Great reserve power
* 1050 Amps 5 Second burst power
* <5m Ohms = Fast power response
* 70Ah Rating
* Sealed design can Be mounted in any position
* Use with or without included battery posts
* Includes protective steel case
* Dimensions: 14"L x 6-3/4"W x 7-3/4"H
* Please add 5/8" if using post terminals
* 1-year Manufacturer's warranty
even come with a metal box plus they sell them at my work so ill get a good deal ....
this may not be for you but just throwing this out there...

C230KSPORT00
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. This really helped :D