View Full Version : nitrogen in tires?

timmyj51
05-09-2009, 12:01 PM
See some places selling nitrogen to fill ties. Supposed to
get better mileage, longer tread life, etc. Anyone have this in
their tires? Is it just snake oil?

Cru328prod
05-10-2009, 03:04 AM
i think its bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllshit!! !!!!!!!!!!!

The whole purpose of it is for dipshits that don't check there tire pessure often....

incorrect tire pressure can cause vibrations, lower mpg, uneven tirewear, even blowouts...and if you have low pros..lmfao you can't even tell if you have flat tire in some cases

Everyone should check there damm psi or get a TPS!!!!

tireblow out at 75 isn't fun btw lmfao

crazy00c230k
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
personally i think its bs too, normal air is around 80% nitrogen as it is...so i can't imagine there is much of a difference.

1995c280
05-10-2009, 04:54 PM
another selling fact is they say nitrogen doesn't change with temp meaning your tires with just air alone will change +4 when warm whereas nitrogen filled tires will not. also the molecules are thicker therefore air cannot seep out which is why you don't need to check your PSI as often.

i used to install this on so many cars at the dealership because it's a great selling point. $50 and you never check your tires, but it is indeed a load of crap i think even if racecars use it. i personally wouldn't pay $50 for air - IT'S FREE!!!!

stox
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
The ONLY thing pure nitrogen might do is minimize oxidation on the inside of the tire. The only reason the racers use it is because it has no moisture content. At the temps their tires run, any moisture can result in a substantial pressure difference as the tires may exceed the boiling point of water.