PDA

View Full Version : The EC button on my climate control is always on. What causes this. My a/c compressor

trackstar
05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
This for my 96 C280. Thanks.

trackstar
05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry, forget to finish the above post. My a/c compressor won't engauge because of this. Anyone experience this?

hvmercy
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
my guess is you don't have any freon in the system.

RemoLexi
05-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
my guess is you don't have any freon in the system.

+1 the freon pressure is too low.

system must be filled back up and theres a dye they use that glows with a UV light, it will tell you whats leaking replace whatever it is, always replce the AC dryer and charge the system back up. reset the code and you should be good to go.

trackstar
05-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Can I have system recharged even though the compressor is not on?

RemoLexi
05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
compressor will engage after the AC system is recharged and the codes are reset.

xvvvz
05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
If it is out of refrigerant, you need to find out why. This is a closed system and if it is working right you should never lose refrigerant. If something has damaged the system and it has become contaminated, you are probably going to need a vacuum on the system and a new dryer (drier?).

epmills
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
If it is out of refrigerant, you need to find out why. This is a closed system and if it is working right you should never lose refrigerant. If something has damaged the system and it has become contaminated, you are probably going to need a vacuum on the system and a new dryer (drier?).
+1, some people assume refrigerant should be "topped off" on occasion, not so. Its a sealed system under high pressure, if its low its because of a problem. You can try to find the leak yourself without special equipment by following the a/c lines and looking for "fuzz". Look especially at the front of the a/c compressor, all lines where they are crimped (turning from a rubber line to a hard steel line), and see if any dust is sticking to them. If so, that is most likely the cause of the refrigerant being low.

C Concept
07-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Hold that button down until the A/C compressor comes on, that over rides it. Usually the pressure sensor located on the drier goes bad. You can also do a self diagnostics. If you need directions PM me.

!!!!!NJ Drive
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by C Concept
Hold that button down until the A/C compressor comes on, that over rides it. Usually the pressure sensor located on the drier goes bad. You can also do a self diagnostics. If you need directions PM me. So just holding down the EC button will override it?
How long should you hold it? Is this way verified & if the system isnt fully repaired (multiple leaks) will the EC button light just come back on?

Logic
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
are you saying when you push the button on and off it always stays on? i always leave it on since from what i undertstand when the light is on it means the a/c is off. and when its off it is on. correct me if i m wrong here......

xvvvz
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
>> from what i undertstand when the light is on it means the a/c is off. and when its off it is on.<<

You are correct.

C Concept
10-10-2009, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Logic
[B]are you saying when you push the button on and off it always stays on? i always leave it on since from what i undertstand when the light is on it means the a/c is off. and when its off it is on. correct me if i m wrong here......

Hold the the button until the light turns off. If I remember right I held it down for about 15 seconds. I had it repaired a while back. It was a bad pressure switch located in the drier. it was about $100 for the switch alone.