PDA

View Full Version : Is this a structural part of the car?

illusionaryline
05-25-2009, 06:50 AM
hey guys, been checking this out,

Just wondering if the circled bit of the bay is structural, from what i can tell its just spot welded (not structural) in to seperate the booster and electronics from the motor, is this the case?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/trdmrk8/mercbay.jpg

Thanks

Logic
05-25-2009, 07:58 AM
i believe it to be a fire wall and thats all.....

nhmercracer
05-25-2009, 09:13 AM
That sheetmetal may look removable, but it actually ties the wheel arches to the firewall in a triangle. Removing this metal without some other method of triangulation could leed to some pretty strange handling issues.

RemoLexi
05-25-2009, 10:04 AM
why the hell would you want to remove that ??

illusionaryline
05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
OK thanks for the help :)

Remove it for engine conversion and to tidy the bay up.

JRE320
05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by illusionaryline
OK thanks for the help :)

Remove it for engine conversion and to tidy the bay up.

Tidy the bay up? :rolleyes: I'm confuse... :confused:

black96benz
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
The center one is a piece of sheet metal attached by around 4 screws, it comes off pretty easy. As far as the sides I'm not to sure how to remove them or what it will affect There is a huge 1.5 inch round metal bar that goes from side to side right behind the dash so I dont think the structure will be compromised. Here is a diagram of the partitioning panel on a 202
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=202022&M=111%2E961&GA=722%2E423&GM=717%2E417&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=62&SGR=090&SGN=05

here is a link to the bar behind the dash
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=202022&M=111%2E961&GA=722%2E423&GM=717%2E417&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=62&SGR=120&SGN=06

Hope this helps!

illusionaryline
05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by black96benz
The center one is a piece of sheet metal attached by around 4 screws, it comes off pretty easy. As far as the sides I'm not to sure how to remove them or what it will affect There is a huge 1.5 inch round metal bar that goes from side to side right behind the dash so I dont think the structure will be compromised. Here is a diagram of the partitioning panel on a 202
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=202022&M=111%2E961&GA=722%2E423&GM=717%2E417&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=62&SGR=090&SGN=05

here is a link to the bar behind the dash
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=202022&M=111%2E961&GA=722%2E423&GM=717%2E417&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=62&SGR=120&SGN=06

Hope this helps!

That was extremely helpful!!! thank you very much!

RemoLexi
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM
umm make sure you know what your doing before you go hacking your car. MB put that there for a damn good reason im sure your altering the structal parts of your car to fit what an engine that isnt made to be there ? you may gain all sorts of chassis flex which may twist other body panals. im sure other parts like the heater box are somehow mounted to that part and are directly behind it. your also going to gain unwanted heat going into the cabin, melting other stuff, possibly.

let me paint this picture for you, so you chop the firewall, swap your nice big engine hit a tree at 50mph and have that engine crush your knees ? sound great? :confused:

leave that there!! try and extend the front rad. support if anything.

illusionaryline
05-26-2009, 12:25 AM
its not going to be a hack job, Its getting engineered, it will comply with ADR (Australian Design Rules) and all safety requirments. the panel will be replaced in some way.

Pagz
05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Heat would be the only real concern with all the plastic behind it,but if your replacing it then np.

What is making you want to change out that nice V6?

EDIT: actually not sure thats your engine...or even if its a 6...^^

illusionaryline
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Heat would be the only real concern with all the plastic behind it,but if your replacing it then np.

What is making you want to change out that nice V6?

EDIT: actually not sure thats your engine...or even if its a 6...^^

haha v6? i wish

2 litre 4 cylnder... thats why im changing it out, im sick of only having 65rwkw. (87 HP at the wheels)

With the new motor it will be about 315rwkw (just with Cam, valve springs, intake, exhaust and tune) (422HP at the wheels)

Pagz
05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Ouch 87hp =)

What make engine could possibly be respectable enough to replace it? :p

Lexus 8?...Toyota I6?....Nissan RB?...hmmm.....LS*(no way lol)

there is a local guy here with a twin turbo lexus V8 in his 202,pretty tight fit...not a big fan of the pink paint though.

c280nz
05-26-2009, 08:46 PM
im sure that part is to just stop heat geting into the electrical area and into the cabin air intake below the windscreen,
try and keep it if you can or your car may smell like oil or fuel inside the car when you are driving along from the engine bay

whos that guy paul? got any pics?
and my friend has a 13b bridgeport turbo in a 202,
:rolleyes:

why does no one mod the merc engines? engine swaps(not using merc engines) are so unclassy and almost always end in fitting bad and a loss of internal luxurys the benz is known for (a/c) and the dash never normally works the same again.

is it a supra swap illusion?
and what are you doing about the rear end with all that extra hp?
u should swap in a c36 engine and manual box, and turbo it, now that would be bad

illusionaryline
05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
The problem is, that in Australia, parts are extremely expensive, and AMG motors are both rare and priced through the roof if you can even find one.

So my reason for the Lsx motor is the fact ive worked with them before, parts are cheap and the pure amount of power you can get for little dollars is crazy! higher bang for buck.

With Turbo's in Australia, the EPA restrictions are harsh, and an EPA notice can put your car off the road.

Im only 20, so simply the cost of doing an AMG motor or turbo'ing a merc motor is just out of my reach money wise.

As well all my friends have very Quick and high HP cars, some inexcess of 1500HP... So 87HP doesnt cut it.

illusionaryline
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
im sure that part is to just stop heat geting into the electrical area and into the cabin air intake below the windscreen,
try and keep it if you can or your car may smell like oil or fuel inside the car when you are driving along from the engine bay

whos that guy paul? got any pics?
and my friend has a 13b bridgeport turbo in a 202,
:rolleyes:

why does no one mod the merc engines? engine swaps(not using merc engines) are so unclassy and almost always end in fitting bad and a loss of internal luxurys the benz is known for (a/c) and the dash never normally works the same again.

is it a supra swap illusion?
and what are you doing about the rear end with all that extra hp?
u should swap in a c36 engine and manual box, and turbo it, now that would be bad

in terms of the rear end, ill be looking for a C43 or even C36 diff, change the gears maybe, if i can find one, or a LSD out of a Holden will fit easily enough, and can handle the power.

c280nz
05-28-2009, 02:28 AM
i beleive c36 anre the same size diff,
but the c43 is larger i think, but im not sure.
change diffs so you can put in a lsd.
these diffs arent the strongest

illusionaryline
05-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
i beleive c36 anre the same size diff,
but the c43 is larger i think, but im not sure.
change diffs so you can put in a lsd.
these diffs arent the strongest

is the c43 diff LSD and what ratio is it ?

c280nz
05-28-2009, 04:16 AM
not lsd. 3.07
thats the 5 speed autos,
the 4 speed is around the 2.87,
and the manual diffs are 3.67

Pagz
05-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by illusionaryline
The problem is, that in Australia, parts are extremely expensive, and AMG motors are both rare and priced through the roof if you can even find one.

So my reason for the Lsx motor is the fact ive worked with them before, parts are cheap and the pure amount of power you can get for little dollars is crazy! higher bang for buck.

With Turbo's in Australia, the EPA restrictions are harsh, and an EPA notice can put your car off the road.

Im only 20, so simply the cost of doing an AMG motor or turbo'ing a merc motor is just out of my reach money wise.

As well all my friends have very Quick and high HP cars, some inexcess of 1500HP... So 87HP doesnt cut it.

Understandable,australia is a pain for that stuff....but you do realise i will have to keep this information from my holden huging workmates to have any chance of upholding the 202 image:p

Logan heres the only info i can find on that pink 202:
http://www.performancecar.co.nz/back-issues/shopping_detail?pid=nz-performance-car-issue-148-april-2009

expo5.0
05-28-2009, 10:57 PM
I've removed part of that firewall from my car and replaced it with other heat reflective bits

c280nz
05-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 23K

Logan heres the only info i can find on that pink 202:
http://www.performancecar.co.nz/back-issues/shopping_detail?pid=nz-performance-car-issue-148-april-2009
wow,
i wonder if thats manual?
and i wonder how well its finished off, i remember that car its been around for ages, i think it has like louis vitton emblems in the pink paint or something.

Pagz
05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Yip its the one with LV stampeed all through the pink...pretty trick if your into that stuff...think theres a supra box in there.

If i recall it runs 422hp at the rear...and if they havent changed the diff i would say it lacks some usable grip given the fact my 4 hardly holds.(EDIT maybe the audio keeps the back wheel down on the straights)

The pics of the bay iv seen show pretty much no room for any intakes maybe they run a very small filter strapped to the turbo?.

What gets me about these sorts of builds is the amount of effort they put in just to achieve a paper wieght at the end..i mean....great you've got a massive engine but the cars on bags and you've got a tonne of audio in there....um doesnt that make for some scary driving?....ohhh you dont drive it?...oh well thats ok then.

(EDIT#2 and before you comment logan i would drive mine every day if i had somewhere to park it =P)

c280nz
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 23K

(EDIT#2 and before you comment logan i would drive mine every day if i had somewhere to park it =P)

ahhh, oohhh :(

supra box ah, bad.
they shud rip all the crap out and use it for drifting,
well thats what i would do if i had that much power.
and i hope they have done something with the rear diff or itd only last um, i dont no maby 5 minutes.

thats alot of power tho, jelous as

expo5.0
06-02-2009, 04:27 PM
my cars a paperweight!

that said- the stereo weight isn't that big of a deal to the vehicle dynamics. I do drive every once in a while ;)