PDA

View Full Version : New M104 Pulley Option ....

omeyhomey
06-03-2009, 02:36 PM

stox
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Didn't you get enough abuse from the F1 engineers over on BenzWorld?

There is a reason Mercedes uses such a heavy pulley on these engines. If it was a good idea, don't you think the guys at Stuttgart or Affalterbach would have done so?

stox
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Cost cutting at Affalterbach? I don't think they have ever heard that phrase.

OCKlasse
06-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I personally know people who have ran your pulley and had issues. Don't you see the liability in your product?

hvmercy
06-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Here we go again.

Pagz
06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I personally know people who have ran your pulley and had issues. Don't you see the liability in your product?

Do tell!,i was interested in getting somthing like this.

I havent heard of any issues,but one springs to mind when using alloy in place of cast iron with highly torqued bolts,this could possibly slacken over time and the keyway would get damaged or the pully comes off and grenades the radiator and anything else.i guess loctite may stop it from completely coming off but it wont stop the keyway getting damaged.
it is one of the reasons i was strongly advised not to go alloy on the flywheel even with the thought of running wide metal shims.

Just some random thoughts about oe vs custom alloy...
How do you guage the harmonic dampening effectivness of a custom pully?

i wonder if its more imortant to have the oe pully on the auto as it doesnt have a massive flywheel like the manual does?(or does the torque converter/trans smooth this out somewhat?)

Having a more even wieght at either end of the crank is possibly benifitial in terms of tortion and thus harmonics.

One of the comments is "here we go again"...anyone got the thread?...feel like iv missed something =)

Cheers,
Paul

joef
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not an expert on engines, but I mentioned your products to my cousin who works for Honda, and deals with their race bikes from time to time.
This is what he had to say......
Making a part like this is not always benificial. You may gain off the line performance but sacrifice top end speed.
As well they came across a situation where they had to add weight to a pulley. During track testing they kept braking a part in the engine, I don't recall which one. The solution was to add weight to the pulley, and no more breakage. Had something to with weight and balance.
I can all the details from him again , but that was the just of it.

hvmercy
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Do tell!,i was interested in getting somthing like this.

One of the comments is "here we go again"...anyone got the thread?...feel like iv missed something =)

Cheers,
Paul

PM

benztec
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
i have seen an aftermarket pulley come loose on an 05 E55. car needed a new crankshaft and front cover on the engine. the bolt was junk that was provided thats why it came loose. and as to cost cutting at AMG? Tell me why the M156 motor costs $63,000 in a car with the same sticker price. They don't cost cut. If you can't afford these cars they dont want you as a customer. It becomes more evident everyday i work on one.

Pagz
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by hvmercy
PM

Gold!,thanks.

Good thing i didnt build my flywheel out of alloy

c280nz
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
i wana pm tooo,
pick me pick me

Pagz
06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I feel the need to post this here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c36-amg-c43-amg/1413133-ams-crank-pulley-review.html#post3400323

O/T Edit: logan got leakdown tester today should be interesting for tomorrows endevour =)

c280nz
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
yea ah how does that work?
do you just put it in the spark plug hole and it pumps compressed air in and you see how fast it escapes?
i reckon a crank vacume setup will help alot,
but i am being very hypocritical, as i need to do the same, im just venting to atmosphere at the moment, but want to set up a vacume, might have a look into it tonight.

Pagz
06-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Ah yes sorry i might have been alittle confused i thought marklands alloy one failed from the bolt,but it looks like it failed from the rubber not holding?...

Does the machined OE pully your advertising still hold up to the factory harmonic frequency it operates at?...or does wieght reduction effect its OE spec operation?

stox
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
If you machined down the damper and remove 40% of the mass, there is NO WAY that it fulfills OEM specifications and functions. That mass you removed is the most important component of the function of the harmonic dampener. Unless you also remove mass from the crankshaft, you have unbalanced the entire crank assembly. This will result in excessive vibration and potentially catastrophic failure of the crank and/or connecting rods.

stox
06-13-2009, 01:20 PM
The harmonic balancer is even more important in an inline 6 as the crankshaft is longer. You are confusing rotational balance and linear balance.

You can believe anything you want. We have already seen reports in the forum of the pulley's bolts vibrating loose. This is precisely what is to be expected from this configuration.

The mass is there for a reason.

stox
06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
We have customers with already 40K+ miles on our pulleys with zero issues, if you install it wrong, then you may run into issues but thats true with any part. the mass is not nearly as significant as the harmonic isolator. This design keeps all that intact and still more than enough mass.

Zero issues that you and/or the owner know about. That mass is an integral part of the resonant system that the harmonic dampener is designed to work with. At the very least, this will result in increased wear of the engine. In the worst case, through constructive interference, it could result in a thrown crank, connecting rods, and/or disintegrating harmonic balancer. This will not happen immediately, but as the various components suffer from increased fatigue due to running out of proper resonant balance.