PDA

View Full Version : AC clutch not working..replace compressor?

alfee
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Ok so i got my ac diagnosed at the shop and they said the clutch isnt engaging until after 3k rpm... so unless i drive really fast i get no ac... they are quoting me 500 for the clutch and labor...
so i was thinking... can't i just replace the ac compressor unit? will a new compressor solve this issue?

Pagz
07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Im not to clued up on the whole A/C system...but a few things you may want to check would be:

-Check the voltage that is applied to the clutch when engaged,it should be 12v.
-Check to see if it engages at the rpm it is told to(should be alot less than 3000rpm)
-Remove the belt and check how freely the compressor turns.

If you find you are not getting 12v at the clutch until 3000rpm i would be suspect about the A/C controller and associated sensors before the replacing the clutch.

Cheers,
Paul

Edit: i would imagine a new compressor is very expensive,i would avoid changing it until your absolutely certain it needs replacing!.

dpc004
07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Replaced my compressor in 2007. If I remember it was a $1200 rebuilt compressor, but it came with a new clutch. (My compressor burned up when the R134a ran low.) I would check the freon level first, then all fuses, relays, etc. There also is a sensor that plugs or screws into the receiver/dryer. (I think it is the pressure switch to save the compressor if the freon is low). It's located just behind the driver's side headlight.

audiophile
07-25-2009, 11:40 AM
i had mine replaced a few years ago, got he comp. for about $650. some place in fl. bought online.
crappy thing is it doesnt blow as cold :(

my other benz, i also had to replce the comp. and the same thing not as cold. they told me something about it maybe it not being the same pessure as the old one i think it was bs.
try azautohaus.com they always have good prices.