PDA

View Full Version : Heater not working... Just in time for winter

benzofanatic
10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
This problem recently started. The heater or A/C will not blow out air regardless of the fan setting (low to high there is no change). When the car is at a stop, I can have the fan on max and temp on HI/LOW and there will be nothing. Once I get on the highway going 60 or more I can feel a little warm air coming out but it does not seem to be affected by any changes I make to the temp or fan level. The fan will not work on defrost or any setting such as AUTO or ECO. The heater display above the radio shows all settins and each button appears to work.

Does anyone know what the cause may be or how to fix it?
My guess is the fan blower has stopped or the comp is bad. Could the air filter have any effect on this? I dont know when it was changed last

Markland556
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Might be the blower motor. Did you check the fuse yet?

strictlyspeakin
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Definitely not the filter or compressor.
Check the fuse first.
Could also be the blower regulator.

benzofanatic
10-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I just checked every single fuse in the car (engine bay and trunk) and every one looked good. Im leaning towards the blower motor or maybe heater core, but a tiny bit of hot air still comes through the vents... although could just heat from the engine to.

jnenad16
10-25-2009, 04:16 AM
sounds like the blower regulator.

Fizzle
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I had this EXACT problem two years ago. You have to access the blower motor under the passenger side dash. take the cover off and try turning it by hand. I did this and a twig, yes a little twig, fell out. I turned The heat on and It worked perfectly.

strictlyspeakin
10-27-2009, 07:20 PM
lol. Worth a shot. My wife has me clean out the one in her car. I find leaves and maple seeds in there and such. Don't ask me how it gets in there...it's a Volvo.

Also if you have access to a volt/ohm meter, check the resistance on that fuse just in case. I've seem blown fuses that look good but aren't. Granted it's rare but possible. I think it was 29 but don't quote me on that.

Its worth trying before your next choices.

benzofanatic
10-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys!
By any chance do you have pictures/description of how to access the blower motor located under the glove box? After hearing that both of you found stuff, there is a chance it could have happened to mine to. I will also re-check the fuse, thats a very good suggestion about using a volt meter.

mbLova
10-29-2009, 06:16 AM
What you should do is open up the hood. Now do you see where the grates are for the water to drain down the passenger side. take those grates off and take a leaf blower and blow all the air into the opening for the water. If you look in the engine bay right infront of where you are blowing, a little flap should be flapping. What ends up happening is that leaves and pine needles get stuck in that causing some water to backlog and that in turn causes the blower motor to blow(not in a good way). This should be reg maintenance in an area where there is lots of fall foliage.

1DOPE230
10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
My blower motor does not work either. The magnets (brushes) that are supposed to make contact with the motor are no longer making contact, thus causing the motor to not spin. They are pushed towards the motor via spring tension but the contact point is so worn down that the tension alone is not enough. Unfortunately, this means time for a new motor. You can check if this is the same issue that you're having by taking the motor off and while holding the stationary portion of the motor very carefully, push the magnets towards the motor with the CC turned on the lowest setting. If the motor kicks on that's your problem, if not I would guess the regulator or the fuse is bad. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and a torx #20(?) to drop it down.

strictlyspeakin
10-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Just drop the lower kick panel. You should see it. I als like the brush idea.
I had that happen once. Saved myself a bunch of money by replacing them instead of a whole new part. Can't remember what the part was, but that's not the point.

benzofanatic
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
So the strangest thing happened last week. I drove my car to school and then work with no heat. After work I turned on my car and after maybe a minute the fan started blowing again! So far it has been working normal but I havent driven it for a couple days. Im wondering if something was stuck and it fell out or maybe it is a bad electrical problem.

1DOPE230
11-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by benzofanatic
So the strangest thing happened last week. I drove my car to school and then work with no heat. After work I turned on my car and after maybe a minute the fan started blowing again! So far it has been working normal but I havent driven it for a couple days. Im wondering if something was stuck and it fell out or maybe it is a bad electrical problem.

I almost guarantee that it's your brushes on the motor. This is exactly what mine does. You need to buy a new blower.