PDA

View Full Version : 0-100 Video

Pagz
10-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey Guys,
picked up a GoPro the other day in an attempt to finally get some footage...however the audio is extremely poor so Kora plays throughout.

Hopefully i can find a suitable audio recorder to fill in when needed.

Youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pax6ooUSkKE)

Cheers,
Paul

mazdalowandslow
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice Vid! Its great to see someone actually hold a camera still! Looks like your car is pulling fast! you should go to your local drag track and do a 1/4 mile run.

Pagz
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks!,had to make up a few brackets to hold the cam there;)

Hopefully early December i will get it down the quarter!

Paul

xvvvz
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
We want audio :)

So what do you estimate your actual 0-100 km time is? I am guessing you pumped the throttle to spin up the turbo first before doing the actual launch, so it is hard for the viewer to know exactly when you put the hammer down for real.

Pagz
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Im a bit gutted about the audio...its a nessasary part on a motorsport video...i will work towards getting some!.

As for the launch there is no pre-load on the engine to get the turbo to spool,i guess people do this in auto's often?....im simply touching the throttle enough to stop it from stalling on engagment then pressing my foot to the floor,so the moment the speedo starts moving is the inital take off,turbo responce is pretty good on my setup;)

On the first run the road is smooth and has a layer of dust from the quary at the end,so first and second gears have very little traction,on the second run the road has much more grip,but its a slight incline and a much shorter road hence why i backoff slightly at around 120km's.

Not sure exactly what the 0-100 is yet i really need to video a few more runs to be conclusive but im fairly sure its in the mid 5's maybe low 5's if i can get 2nd gear to hit 100.

Cheers,
Paul

strictlyspeakin
10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
It's very cool to see it in action!!

You've put so much into her.

c280nz
10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
cool vid, gay music we need actual sound,
i like your close gearratios tho, my car is 120kmph in second

Pagz
10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
It's very cool to see it in action!!

You've put so much into her.

cheers!

cool vid, gay music we need actual sound,
i like your close gearratios tho, my car is 120kmph in second

Man not you too,almost everyone's given me a hard time about the music choice,its the only two Kora songs i dont mind;)

Hmm what RPM at 120?...think i can get mine almost to 100 at 6300.

c280nz
10-30-2009, 05:36 PM
6500 redline,
i give my car a hard time, hence the hard time it gives me,
i melted a hole clean thru the top of number 4 piston 2 nights ago :eek:
working on figuring out why just one cylinder leaned out,
have bought a 3.2ltr e320 motor to go into replace it, next project over the next few weeks, out with the old in with the larger new, and diagnose why it melted and try not let it happen again,
been a stressful week, beer has helped ;)

nah the songs ok i just giving you shit for the sake of it ;)

Pagz
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Geez!

...are you retarding ignition with that boost increase?, time to invest in something you can listen to knock with?.

If all other cylinders show no signs of heat maybe it was a faulty injector?.

Any bits go through the turbine?

nah the songs ok i just giving you shit for the sake of it

i should know this by now;)

mmm 3.2 with 8psi 320 - 350hp@w? nice.
I thought our gearbox's were the same?...maybe your final drive is slightly longer?...can you get the numbers off your gb next time your there?.

This is fairly rare:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/MercedesBenz/auction-250334815.htm

c280nz
10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
yea maby standalone just to control injectors and ignition, leave standard computer in aswel so the dash works etc,
wel see,
yea i have extra injector setup but i think it was possibly starving the middle two cylinders, im gona get my injectors flow tested to check this,
im not sure where i will go from here i have to do more investigating of components to see what has caused this,
but yea dont want it happening again esp with a 3.2
now i will have probebly the only c320 in new zealand, and its manual, and its turbod :-)

that gbox is cheap, but the input and output shafts would need to be changed, but yea its nice to see a spare box around on trademe

pisit
11-01-2009, 02:04 AM
hey Paul, haven't seen you in the forum for quite some time. nice vid!
have one question abt your Motec set up. I'm thinking of getting Haltech Platinum ECU, but having some problem with the trigger pick up sensor or crank sensor. How did you manage to get yours done? with the standard sensor from the flywheel or you had your customed?

Troy

Pagz
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
yea maby standalone just to control injectors and ignition, leave standard computer in aswel so the dash works etc,
wel see,
yea i have extra injector setup but i think it was possibly starving the middle two cylinders, im gona get my injectors flow tested to check this,
im not sure where i will go from here i have to do more investigating of components to see what has caused this,
but yea dont want it happening again esp with a 3.2
now i will have probebly the only c320 in new zealand, and its manual, and its turbod :-)

that gbox is cheap, but the input and output shafts would need to be changed, but yea its nice to see a spare box around on trademe

Definitly time to go stand alone!...i see link do a new ECU which is right up there(nothing like its previous models),the tuning guy i use is about to install one in his rally car.
How much did the 320 cost?

Pagz
11-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by pisit
hey Paul, haven't seen you in the forum for quite some time. nice vid!
have one question abt your Motec set up. I'm thinking of getting Haltech Platinum ECU, but having some problem with the trigger pick up sensor or crank sensor. How did you manage to get yours done? with the standard sensor from the flywheel or you had your customed?

Troy

Hey Troy,
I used both original sensors,the motec ECU is connected to the cam pickup and the crank pickup,the stock ECU is connected in parallel to one of them(cant remember which one) the stock ecu still needs a pick-up so you get RPM on the dash,however i found there is a trick to running the sensors in parallel,the bosch ECU provides 2v onto the sensor,so your new ECU must be able to compensate so it thinks 2v = 0v (thus the new ECU see's any signal above 2v)

cheers,
Paul

c280nz
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
i was just thinking a link g3, i see one on trademe with wiring for $1000
it isnt top of the line but should do,
i might get it wired into my wideband and get a feedback loop tuned for closed loop cruising conditions to save fuel.

i might wire it in myself but im not sure yet, the bit that makes me nervous is wiring into the coil packs, but i shud be able to figure this out, also what crank signal to use? can i use my standard flywheel one which has one magnet and 3 segments, or shud i just put on a trigger wheel on the crank pully while the engine is out of the car?

the 3.2ltr cost me $1000 +$100 shipping, 160,000km,
quite high k's but at least it doesnt have a hole thru a piston ;)

Pagz
11-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Sounds reasonable,I dont know much about link but a quick visit to the G3 installation instructions shows that its a pretty generic ECU!

The ignition coils are straight forward to wire up but you may need to switch them through a solid state relay of sorts as most aftermarket ECU's do not switch the load internally like the oe bosch.

6 cylinder wasted spark(my coils are setup like this,i would think yours are too)
http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/technical-drawings/I05

also Link sell these http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/technical-drawings/I02
"Ignitor" seems to be a flashy name for a solid state relay,if bosch ones are cheaper use them!.

Best contact link and see what pick up configurations it will accept,i would think you could use your original pick ups.

not bad!..did you get it from tauranga?
Another thought on the stand alone ecu is the need for a new TB,TPS,MAP and Idle control....lol (or are you not dbw?)

c280nz
11-02-2009, 01:12 AM
yea i got it from tauranga,
man you are on to it, looking up all those pics etc, but yea i havent bought a ecu yet, but if i do it will most likely be a g3 g4 link as that is what most of my mates have and can base tune/help me with tips,
first step is the engine, then once i can afford the ecu il do that, but i should probebly contact link first to see about the crank pickups because if i can get away with using my standard ones or while the engine is out wire on a trigger wheel.

the ignitor part is the bit i find most confusing but that looks straight foward, but what is a supressor used on the positive side of the coil packs?
my car isnt drive by wire, it has a cable to the throttle butterfly,
and it has a throttle position sensor which i taped into for my emanage so i should be able to do the same with the link,
im not sure about the idle control? myne has an idle control solinoid in the throttle body also, but im not sure wot to do about that.

thankyou for looking up those diagrams, it makes my scary option not look so bad after all,
the injectors and sensors are the easy part, i think the link comes with an onboard map sensor, but i could possibly use that in conjunction with my factory maf, to make it easier to set up idle/low revs.

pisit
11-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi Logan, just wondering why did you choose Link over other ECU brands? Is it because of the installation, set-up or tuning software?
I'm planning to go standalone set up as well. I have been looking around for several ecu and thinking of getting Haltech Sport Platinum 1000. The only concern that i have is about the crank or trigger sensor that whether it'll be compatible with MB standard sensor.

Just don't want to go through the hazard of a custom trigger wheel.

Troy

Pagz
11-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
yea i got it from tauranga,
man you are on to it, looking up all those pics etc, but yea i havent bought a ecu yet, but if i do it will most likely be a g3 g4 link as that is what most of my mates have and can base tune/help me with tips,
first step is the engine, then once i can afford the ecu il do that, but i should probebly contact link first to see about the crank pickups because if i can get away with using my standard ones or while the engine is out wire on a trigger wheel.

the ignitor part is the bit i find most confusing but that looks straight foward, but what is a supressor used on the positive side of the coil packs?
my car isnt drive by wire, it has a cable to the throttle butterfly,
and it has a throttle position sensor which i taped into for my emanage so i should be able to do the same with the link,
im not sure about the idle control? myne has an idle control solinoid in the throttle body also, but im not sure wot to do about that.

thankyou for looking up those diagrams, it makes my scary option not look so bad after all,
the injectors and sensors are the easy part, i think the link comes with an onboard map sensor, but i could possibly use that in conjunction with my factory maf, to make it easier to set up idle/low revs.

NP!,def helps if you know others running the same ecu!,i know what its like with these projects...intergrating all this stuff can take ages and cost a fair bit...iv been needing to go to the dentist for about 4 years^^

Ah no dbw ftw theres half the battle won already!...
Whats inside the oe MAF sensor?...does it have sufficent pressure and temp range?...if so i guess you could use that but if not you will need to chuck an air temp sensor in there to go with the link's MAP and your TPS.

That ignitor is basicly a set of transisters(+ a few other bits),all it does is switch the coils to ground when there is sufficent voltage on the gate of the transister,the gate is switched from the output channels on the ECU,so the ECU is effectivly isolated from the ignitiol coils,this is a good thing as if your dwell is set to high you can damage your coils or your transisters.

You will be able to use the TPS as there almost all the same in terms of being a basic potentio meter ,maybe the same idle control motor depending on what the link ecu will drive...the M400 i have is better suited to 2 wire aparently,so iv just obtained one from my mates E30, should do the trick.

Cru328prod
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
i woulda creamed in my pants but the music was just to much of a turn off lmfao

Pagz
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
i woulda creamed in my pants but the music was just to much of a turn off lmfao

*mental note
Always use Kora for my movies:p

SLAMMED_C
11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Wicked vid brother, too bad no audio though.. the vid doesnt do the car justice!.. need sound of that turbo!
it looks like it hauls pretty damn well man. 316HP to the wheels must be uber fun to drive.

Pagz
11-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey dude,thanks yeh its a nice usable amount of power and it really needs some sort of limited slip dif as even light power out of a slight corner will slip the inside wheel!

Had a look at some quality digital hand held audio recorders last night and far out they are expensive lol. might have to investigate the best value for money ones.