PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Amp

Pagz
11-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just descovered i havent wired in that amp when i replaced my stereo a few years back...the reception is good but fades quickly out of town...so im guessing this is the issue.

I pulled my stereo out and found the green/purple wire i taped up and left as i wasnt sure what it did.
Im not so keen on removing the C pillar again(10th time)just to check the amp's wire colours.

So the question is,is the purple/green the antenna amp feed?...and if so should i feed it 12V or is the 5v remote wire sufficent?.

Thanks!,
Paul

strictlyspeakin
11-08-2009, 04:21 PM
The Green Purple looks like it is the VSS.
Vehicle Speed Sensor.

You might look for a Bl/Wh instead.

Pagz
11-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
The Green Purple looks like it is the VSS.
Vehicle Speed Sensor.

You might look for a Bl/Wh instead.

Cool,i need that for the Defi Display so it doesnt play that annoying show thingy when it thinks your at a stand still :)

Hmm I'll look for the white/black tonight,thanks!

Pagz
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Ok,turns out i dont have a black/white,but instead its blue/white(the usual remote wire colour code)

....And i had it connected to my remote wiring with the amp remote.

So tests show the antenna amp was getting 5V and it was working,however im guessing it should instead be 12V?

Pagz
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Have put 12v onto the amp as i assume thats what is should have.

As for that VSS,it must be a simple on/off like what the central locking gets when the car is moving for a duration of time.
Doesnt help my annoying defi display function!.

cheers,
Paul

strictlyspeakin
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry Paul.

I didn't mean to be unclear. Bl=Blue for sure. Bk=Black.

I'm inclined to agree that it should have 12V there, but haven't tested it. If you have the factory amp, the same blue white is shared by it as well. I don't see any other power inputs heading into it either.

I know I had something on the VSS somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I'm not sure what a defi display is, sorry.

I would think that there would be a variable value on that lead as opposed to a static one. Vehicle Speed Signal.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1266366-vehicle-speed-sensor.html

Pagz
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Ahh! of course yes bl,bk!!

Hopfully its 12V,though you mentioning thats its wired with the amps remote makes me think it should be 5V. will leave it at 12V and see how it goes!.

The Defi thing displays water/oil temp turbo,fuel/oil press though it has a function where it runs through all the max readings while your car is at a stand still,as it doesnt know im not at a stand still it runs through this 24/7 unless i hit a button to check it.

Thanks for that link,it seems its definitely variable!.i wired it into the tacho input thinking there was a Defi setting to change tacho to speed input(which there isnt - doh),this gave me a shift gear warning around the time the doors auto locked,hence why i though it was on/off,but it also went away once i slowed down so ill have to pull the console out again and wire it to the right place,cool theres hope yet^^,this has been piss'n me off for 3 years.

strictlyspeakin
11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
So the Defi is an add-on unit, and you need a place to pick up rpm info?

ETC control module: Pin 35 (rpm) or pin 12 (rpm carrier)
On passenger footwell plate.

Maybe that helps?

nhmercracer
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Be sure the antenna amp is off when the radio is off.

The people who initially installed my radio connected the antenna amp to constant power. My battery would be dead in two days. Took me weeks to figure it out.

Pagz
11-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
So the Defi is an add-on unit, and you need a place to pick up rpm info?

ETC control module: Pin 35 (rpm) or pin 12 (rpm carrier)
On passenger footwell plate.

Maybe that helps?

Awsome thanks!,might as well get RPM while im there =)

Be sure the antenna amp is off when the radio is off. The people who initially installed my radio connected the antenna amp to constant power. My battery would be dead in two days. Took me weeks to figure it out.

Yip!,got it on with the ACC,will let my mate know as he's had trouble like that on his E30!

Cheers guys,
Paul

strictlyspeakin
11-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Let us know how it works out.

And if it does, I'll truly feel like I've accomplished something. It's nice to feel useful around such smart guys like you.

Cheers!