PDA

View Full Version : Axxis Rear Brake Pad Replacement Problems - To Shim or Not?

xvvvz
11-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Last year, I replaced my front brakes with the Axxis Deluxe Plus pads. They have been great so far without any squealing/singing and the low dust factor has been awesome. My rear pads were getting close to needing replacement, so I bought a new set of equivalent Axxis pads (they have been renamed Advanced instead of Deluxe Plus).

The problem I am having is rear brake noise. The brakes squeal/sing like mad. The brakes don’t squeal very often when braking semi-hard to very hard. Most of the time its sings when gently braking or when braking at low speeds, as well as right before the car finally comes to a complete stop. Driving low speed around a parking lot is a symphony.

For background, I:
• Used high quality CRC red brake paste along the side edges of the plate to which the pad material is bonded (as recommended in the MB WIS). I also put it on the contact points for the anti-rattle spring and the face of the piston edge that comes in contact with the back of the pad. Additionally, I put it between the shim plate and the back of the pad (more on this later).
• Gently rounded and smoothed all of the sharp edges of the pad a very small amount to minimize any mating issues
• Did not turn the rotors because MB says to not do so. My rotors are way above the minimum thickness and I was not having warping problems (the singing is consistent, not like warped rotors where it would stutter more). The gentle rounding of the pad’s edges should have prevented any seating issues and pads look like they positioned fine.
• First bed the brakes in using repeated high speed stops. When the singing didn’t stop, I took the pads out and roughed them up again and then did a gentle break-in. I still have noise.

My first question is about the thin metal shim plates. The original (Pagid) pads that never gave me any noise had them clipped on to the back of the pads. The Axxis pads did not come with them but I guessed I was supposed to transfer them over. The MB WIS shows shims for the two pin type and says to not put paste on the shims (install them dry) because they are supposed to have “circumferential damping” which I believe references a pattern of semi soft dots of material on the back of the pads (which my OEM Pagid pads had but the Axxis do not). For the one pin brakes it does not show a shim yet my OEM Pagid pads did have shims. Should I have NOT used them? The Axxis box didn’t make any reference to these and their website contact page does not work so I can’t email them.

If I was supposed to use them, wasn’t I supposed to use paste between the back of the pad and the shim? I thought you always wanted paste at metal to metal contact areas because that is where vibration/harmonics can occur. My rear calipers are the single pin type. I made sure to put paste on the contact points between the shim and the back of the new brake pad. Then also put paste at the contact point between the caliper piston and the back of the shim.

I did not put any type of lubricant or paste on the pin. Should I have done so? The pin is solidly in place at each side where it goes through the caliper and the anti rattle spring is firmly in place.

Any advice would be appreciated before I go back and take things apart for a third time. I have driven maybe 30 miles of stop and start travel around town and things are not improving. In fact, low speed seems to be getting even worse.

Thanks!

1995c280
11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
i never used the shims when installing new pads unless the new ones came with them in the box. i would take the shims out and just put antiseize on the sides and the back and then install the pad just like you have done. furthermore, i always coat the pins with antiseize.

try to remove the shims and see if that helps. it looks like you've done everything else correct.

1 other thing: you said you beveled the edges of the pad which is good. if the noise is still there, take some emery cloth to sand down the actual entire face of the brake pads material and that should help as well.

xvvvz
11-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, Jason. I hope to get out and redo things in a day or so and will report back.

97C28O
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey so I have the PBR Delux (aka Axxis) and my brakes squeal like crazy. What are these shims? are they the metal plate that goes on the pad? Should I not apply some CRC Brake Pad paste(spray) on them?

nhmercracer
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Check the orientation of the pistons in the caliper. The lower (cut) area should point to the lower rear of the car. If they are rotated incorrectly, you will get squealing.

97C28O
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
I understand that the piston has a "C" shape cut.. but I can not picture "The lower (cut) area should point to the lower rear of the car"... care to illustrate?