PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals switch, hazard signal, rear window defroster

ibrant
11-21-2009, 07:53 AM
hi there..

I have c200 1996 with an irritating problem that goes like this:

at the same time the turn signal switch as well as windshield wiper (position 1 - intermittent wiping) as well as hazard warning flasher switch and rear window defroster switch all do not work.
notice that other two windshield wiper positions at the switch work perfectly.

what the hell goes with my Merc?!?

S.O.S
:(

anf6789
11-21-2009, 09:18 AM
it is the combination relay in a box near the fuses under the hood. same thing happens to a lot of 202s, I think there is a post about it on here.

ibrant
11-21-2009, 09:28 AM
thanks! can you help me with finding this thread?

hoospiders
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I have dealt with the same problem for the last 6 months, but thanks to this board, I haven't yielded to my dealership's "offer" to install a new relay for $390.00 and continue to diagnose the problem from there.

Since then, I have pulled the relay, carefully removed its plastic top, and checked to make sure there were no bad solder joints, etc. After verifying that everything looked to be in order, I replaced the relay and pressing down on it while the turn signal was on, which allowed it to operate.

I then made shims out of some adhesive-backed felt pads, stuck them to the top of the relay and, replaced the relay box cover. Now, with the relay box cover presses against the relay via the shims, and that helps, but over time, the shims, being made of felt, appear to be compressing, and in the process, hold the relay less firmly in place, and as a result it continues to cut out occasionally.

As I always regarded this as a temporary fix, can anyone tell me if a new relay stays in place better (by virtue of its pins being less fatigued perhaps) or if the problem is more likely with the corresponsing contacts in the relay box itself, which, once again perhaps by virtue of age, just don't hold the pins of the relay as tightly as they should? In the meanwhile, I am on the lookout for a new relay box, and if I find one, will replace the whole thing and report my findings to the "Club". Stay tuned.

strictlyspeakin
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe this thread.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15771&highlight=combination+relay

That relay is definitely a diy job. Whether you want to repair it is up to you new and used ones can be had for way less than what the dealer quoted you.