PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody come up with cheap fix?

kowalski
11-23-2009, 03:07 AM
All of us that have a c-klasse from 96 to 00 with digital climate control!
All of us will eventually have the pixel flaws on display!
Did anybody come up with a cheap solution how to repair this shit?
I don't wanna waste my money on a new HU and the same problem will occur again after a few years of using it!
Everytime the digits will go out of focus I have to tap the window display with my finger and the digits will come back!

However this only happens with my climate control display not with the cluster gauge!
00 millenium cars with tiptronic transmission, had the new cluster gauge, they suffer from losing digits in the cluster as well the climate control display!

I suspect that vibrations from my car being so stiff from the lowprofile tires, and the suspension being stiff!
Made something come loose in the display, that's why the digits is busting my chops!

Stiff rides kills other parts on a car!
Weeak quality on MB cars gives bad reputation for MB brand!
During the mid 90's to 2005 MB cars had dubious reputation for their quality, lots of gremlins with electronics and rust!

Capt
11-23-2009, 05:08 AM
I too would also like to know if there is a solution to the climate control issue.

I had the unit replaced under warranty when I first got the car and sure enough two years later the same thing is happening. It is almost like the screen is delaminating and not contacting correctly. If there are any electronics gurus out there please offer your opinions.

The only other gripe I have is with the instrument cluster lights. Changing them seems to be a real pain in the ass if you don't have a telescoping steering wheel.

kowalski
11-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Capt
I too would also like to know if there is a solution to the climate control issue.

I had the unit replaced under warranty when I first got the car and sure enough two years later the same thing is happening. It is almost like the screen is delaminating and not contacting correctly. If there are any electronics gurus out there please offer your opinions.

The only other gripe I have is with the instrument cluster lights. Changing them seems to be a real pain in the ass if you don't have a telescoping steering wheel.

hey buddy!
I see you 've got a 2000 model, so you have tiptronic transmission if you drive automatic!

Your cluster has the new design of digital display!
When the digits starts to give you headache you know you have a problem! Pixel problems
The thermometer will lose it's digits,
for automatic cars: you wont be able to see which speed you are using,
clock will lose it's digits,
and
probably the milage too, however I am not shure about the milage if it's that sensitive too?
But the above mentioned stuff will happen to you, start counting the days!
My friend had a rustbucket 2000 model E55 AMG, the digits went south on the cluster!
And a lot of rust around the car's body!
He got rid of this junk! the car had about 150,000km!
Ready for scrapyard

benzofanatic
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a 99 C280 Sport with 18" low profile tires. The pixels showing my milage + trip meter went out a long time ago to the point where only a random part of a number will light up. It sometimes happens to my clock and temp guage but this is only random. The mechanic said $800-900 repair

I also have the same problem with the temp display. Its done this for a while to and I have to tap the display for it to work. This only happens randomly and works most of the time but I have not heard of any cheap fixes yet.

OzC36
11-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Pixel repair service:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-C-E-CLASS-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-LCD-PIXEL-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ330382050015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cec4e02d f

kowalski
11-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
Pixel repair service:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-C-E-CLASS-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-LCD-PIXEL-REPAIRS_W0QQitemZ330382050015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cec4e02d f

Hello mate!
Thanks for the info!
I emailed the guy and lets hope there is a cheap solution for the HU for climate display.
Thanks

benzofanatic
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
wow thats awesome
So does this actually work and do you know if the install directions are easy to follow?