PDA

View Full Version : Command and W208 steering wheel ?

CountSologub
10-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi, this is my first post, but I've been lurking around for a while...

I'm 10000000% sold on the command thing, however, I see it working very well with the 208 instument cluster and steering wheel, and after driving my step-dads E430 sport recently (I think it's a 2001 or 2002, the older style, not the latest) I really liked the steering wheel and such, and I think this is what I've seen in earlier posts.

basically, what are all the costs to duplicate what is shown in earlier thread: Steering wheel, command, consoul, although I don't want carbon fiber but wood (I assume it's gonna be 220 as well or something around that)?

thnx for any info, also I'm westcoast, if it makes any diff in shipping and such....

my last question, is what do I need to put it in, any special tools? (never done this to MBs, but worked on other cars with friends)

MBenzNL
10-06-2003, 11:39 PM
start at the beginning...what year is your car?

The MF steering wheel upgrade is only possible on the later benzes...

greetingz,

CountSologub
10-07-2003, 04:23 PM
sorry, Car is C230 1998

if this matters: Climate control is a small display (not the dials), not a sport version, has alpine headunit...

MBenzNL
10-08-2003, 10:27 AM
well...then go for something similar to this:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QADXAisS2zG2LPt*K5doMB4ij5t4cmWwTwhuxtlrbG!rGskis 82OOLGXuiTu*HW8YEdEmina2SMcltH5OCPxNG1TLFuloP!yzoz XAgBw1Bg/SOS00.JPG?dc=4675432016048929110

I have new and used comands...new Multifunctional steering wheels (either standard, wood/leather or ///AMG and even Brabus)...new airbags (ash or charcoal - standard, leaher or ///AMG)...new MF instrument clusters with mph gauges (can be set at your current mileage...just regular or ///AMG)...and whatever else is needed to get the modification done or have me do it in case you live in california and are able to make up your mind before this saturday when the first crate of parts will leave the Netherlands to serve my upcoming comand installation trip.

greetingz,

CountSologub
10-08-2003, 03:45 PM
what's the price of the thing pictured?

only problem is that I have champaign (desert silver) outside and interior is in similar color (I don't know what MB calls it)... don't know if u have matching colors for wheel?

I live close to LA, where are u sending those things to?

also, what are all the functions of command (a website where I could read up on this would be nice)

thnx!

*Edit: sorry forgot to tell you what I want...

Command, Steering wheel (wood/leather), cluster (AMG) and all the rest of the stuff to make it complete... like wood trim.

Renn 208
10-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CountSologub

also, what are all the functions of command (a website where I could read up on this would be nice)

Comand Functions:
CD, Radio, Phone(phonebook, SMS), TV/Video (if you get the Europimp version), AUX audio, CD-Rom Navigation

Cluster and Steering wheel features:
Control of Comand functions including the phonebook, Nav, as well as scroll through Milage, Service, Digital Speed, and info metrics (fuel consumption).

And since you're going all out, maybe you should ask Steve if it's possible to do a Linguatronic retrofit? Voice control over everything. Works nice with the Nokia Phone System and Comand.

I may be forgetting other stuff, but that's the main deallio.

kameraguy
10-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Aside from the details such as color and what not, you should DO this if you can. If there's any hesitation because you aren't sure if you want this...consider the fact it's not every day Steve is around to install all of this...and with this type of project, you'll WANT Steve!!

So if he has a steering wheel to match your interior, consider this a done deal :)

MBenzNL
10-08-2003, 11:21 PM
interior is in similar color (I don't know what MB calls it)... don't know if u have matching colors for wheel?
I don't know...maybe THIS (http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/europartspimp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2016) is getting close? It is an oyster/burlwood wheel with leather airbag...

Command, Steering wheel (wood/leather), cluster (AMG) and all the rest of the stuff to make it complete... like wood trim.
comand: 1400USD installed...steering wheel upgrade with programmed AMG cluster: 1300USD...I will be doing similar modifications (comands and cluster/wheel upgrades) in the bay area and in orange county SOON - so if you are seriously considering a modification like this please get in contact with me...most of the parts I need will be shipped out monday.

greetingz,

CountSologub
10-14-2003, 09:14 AM
sorry it took me so long to respond...

I don't know if I can do this right now, since $3k isn't exactly pocket change...

Btw, Command will preplace the headunit I have now? or can I make this work with Alpine unit I have?

the reason I'm asking is that I really like it and am planning on redoing entire system inside the car (speakers can't handle much beyond 21 lvl of volume), and my headunit has crossover controls built in, that work well with V12 Alpine amps...

basically, will this all work, or is it one or the other?

also, is there a command unit that would fit the R170 SLK?

MBenzNL
10-14-2003, 09:43 AM
No comand for R170 and no comand in combination with any other headunit...

greetingz,

nokia8860
10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
No comand for R170

you sure? i seen some pictures using the 2.0 comand in an r170.... granted it was from brabus.

pnsji
10-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Btw, Command will preplace the headunit I have now? or can I make this work with Alpine unit I have?

the reason I'm asking is that I really like it and am planning on redoing entire system inside the car (speakers can't handle much beyond 21 lvl of volume), and my headunit has crossover controls built in, that work well with V12 Alpine amps...

basically, will this all work, or is it one or the other?

also, is there a command unit that would fit the R170 SLK?

What is your goal?
the ultimate integration unit that has display on the dash -> OEM
The ultimate sounding system -> Aftermarket head unit.

nokia8860
10-14-2003, 02:28 PM
pnsji is right. the sound quality of comand sucks. the only thing it has going is that its an all in one navi that is cheaper than the alpines etc.....

if you are serious about sound go aftermarket.

MBenzNL
10-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
you sure? i seen some pictures using the 2.0 comand in an r170.... granted it was from brabus.
I know...I have seen comand in the R129 as well but that doesn't mean it can be done...looked fugly as h@ll...

Comand can sound good...all you need is to connect a modified D2B Bose amp with RCA plugs to connect aftermarket amps and speakers...comand will kick ass just like any other headunit with amps and speakers.

greetingz,

pnsji
10-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Comand can sound good...all you need is to connect a modified D2B Bose amp with RCA plugs to connect aftermarket amps and speakers...comand will kick ass just like any other headunit with amps and speakers.

This is actually very interesting. Given an excellent high-low converter, maybe it will sound pretty damn good!

Maybe I should consider command now :D

CountSologub
10-15-2003, 06:24 PM
damn, well I guess no command for this car... well I'll ask my mom if she wants it in hers.... but for me sound I guess is paramount here, damn it I was hoping it would work.

I already spent close to a grand in headunit, amp and will be spending good money soon making custom box in place of spare tire (if I don't decide to come up with new idea again)....

thnx for all the info MBenzNL, and sorry this isn't gonna work for me

Ashkan's C280
06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
old thread but how much does oem tv tuner and dvd player cost? and the phone setup? thanks, just curious for how much I should have before i make the big buy

Rey99C280
09-10-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't know...maybe THIS (http://groups.msn.com/mbenznl/europartspimp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2016) is getting close? It is an oyster/burlwood wheel with leather airbag...

comand: 1400USD installed...steering wheel upgrade with programmed AMG cluster: 1300USD...I will be doing similar modifications (comands and cluster/wheel upgrades) in the bay area and in orange county SOON - so if you are seriously considering a modification like this please get in contact with me...most of the parts I need will be shipped out monday.

greetingz,

Hello Steve,

Damn! I wish I had my car a couple years ago. I would love to have mine done. I have a 99C280 Black on black. By any chance you are in Southern California area (wishful thinking). I'm willing to pay for what your asking. I delayed my engine (C280-C320) conversion for next year and I have the funds to do this.

If not, what parts do I need to get this done? Part numbers? Is it hard to do for a DIY'er?

Thanks,
rey99c280
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2418000-2418999/2418392_20_full.jpg

Renn 208
09-10-2006, 11:04 AM
See mike's and my posts in the other COMAND thread