PDA

View Full Version : Two problems

Tetro87
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey guys I havent been on in awhile since I have been busy with school and all. I am having two problems with my car currently, one that needs to be resolved quickly while the other can wait. The first one is that when I go to fill my gas tank I get to pump about one gallon before the pump shuts off as if the tank is filled. I know it isnt and have tried to fill it a different stations and had the result be the same (and had the gas leak out too) so I assume it has something to do with my tank. I looked up possible causes and came up that its most likely something blocking the tube. I wanted to see what everyone else thought and how to deal with it? The other problem is that whenever I lock my car the foglights and parking lights blink continously. I am worried to leave my car locked for fear of draining my battery but I also dont want to leave it unlocked. I recently installed new smoked taillights but I dont know if that could be an issue? I would appreciate anyones input or advice on this situation. Thanks

Sulaco
04-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I can't comment on the lights issue. I have a pre-update 202.

But the tank thing has been there on mine since the day I bought it back in '99. Has your problem always been there?

For me, I shove the pump all the way in, pull the handle, and it shuts off within seconds as though full. The solution i quickly figured out 10 years ago was to just pull the pump up and out the fuel inlet. I basically stick the pump in about 2-3 inches and pull it. It then fills up without a problem--no spray, no overfill, and no more shutting off.

I read somewhere it's because the tube from the inlet to the tank on a w202 is too narrow, so the fuel pressure from the pump builds up and it thinks the tank is full and cuts off.

Not sure if that was any help, but my 2 cents so far.

SLAMMED_C
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
What year is your C?
For your first issue with the filling problem, I'll look up the part number for you tomorrow and get back to you on the part you need to replace to fix it.. its about $150-200 for the part.

as for the vehicle locking with the lights continuously flashing.. its not something I can diagnose too easily without seeing the car.. its not something I've come across in a w202. does it have a factory alarm system with the panic button functional on the remote? maybe as you arm the vehicle (when locking) its not seeing something closed that should be closed (trunk latch, door switch) something along that route, so the alarm is going off, but the lights are just flashing instead of the siren going off?

Tetro87
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
In reference to the issue with the gas tank, I ended up turning the gas pump about 45 degrees and was able to fill my tank. I haven't tried to fill it normally yet for fear of overflow again and having the gas ruin my paint job as I can see it kinda did =(. So thank you for that info Sulaco. In reference to your inquiry Slam, the car in question is a 99 C43. Yes it does have the factory stock alarm system. I thought it was something with the alarm because I have only seen those lights flash when the alarm goes off but since the siren wasn't going off I had no idea. I went around to make sure everything was locked (front/rear passenger and driver doors and trunk) and discovered nothing unlocked so it must be not recognizing something. I plan on resetting the ECU this afternoon and seeing if that will help at all. I will let you guys know the results