PDA

View Full Version : Engine "Tapping" when cold - C43

benzonline
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey guys. Love the idea of the forum being back!

I store my C43 for winter, fresh oil etc and take it out occasionally and on long not short drives. Recently I noticed as the weather got cold and throughout the winter if I took it out on nice days, id fire it up on cold start, starts perfectly but the engine would be making a tapping valve type sound - almost like a knock/tap. This WOULD go away after about 5 mins of idling - you can actually hear it faintly dissapearing and would not be tapping or knocking while driving.

At first I thought, ok maybe because it sits for several weeks. Then 2 days later id turn it on and same thing. Tapping/knocking. The oil I use is Mobil 0W40.

Is this normal?

hvmercy
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
To answer your question, perhaps you should also be asking if 0W40 is the right oil to use during extremely cold winters.

I've been away from Canada for such a long time that I forgot that oil thickness used during winter season is different during warm/summer season.

Do you have a block heater on that C43?

I too am glad this forum has been brought back to life.

Hey guys. Love the idea of the forum being back!

The oil I use is Mobil 0W40.

Is this normal?

benzonline
03-04-2011, 11:21 PM
0W40 is apparently adequate oil as this is also the thinnest oil you can find on the market which would make for better flow.

Denlasoul
03-04-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.club202.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1052

I did a quick Search and came up with these Threads. A few of them touch on a solenoid, you might want to read those. They are located towards the end of the Search list.

I do not recall if my car does the same. Next time I fire her up, I'll listen.

benzonline
03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
ok thanks! Gonna start driving it more often to -daily in the next month so Im going to see if it clears up.

Denlasoul
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Forgot to follow up: my car does not have any unusual tapping sound. If it does, then I am not aware of it.

benzonline
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Narrowed it down to cold weather, prolonged sitting. Had the car out all day yesterday, did the tapping at initial startup at cold and never again. Ask a few mechanically inclined friends who said it is fine as it takes a while for the oil pressure to get to the top of the valves.

hvmercy
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
have you asked Saaboteur at MBworld to see if gets the same kind of symptoms?
Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Narrowed it down to cold weather, prolonged sitting. Had the car out all day yesterday, did the tapping at initial startup at cold and never again. Ask a few mechanically inclined friends who said it is fine as it takes a while for the oil pressure to get to the top of the valves.

JRE320
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM

I agree on that. I question that tapping with my mechanic and he also said the same thing.

benzonline
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Id be tapping too if I had to sit in a cold garage all winter LOL