PDA

View Full Version : Shifter box vibrating noise on hard turns?

97C28O
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Okay, I noticed this couple days ago...

I made a slight hard left and I heard a vibration noise coming from the shifter box area... Another time, it was during a loop on a on ramp to a highway and I took the loop tightly and I heard the same noise again and this time i held the shifter and the noise reduced.. The car drives and shifts fine just wondering what causes the vibration noise...

strictlyspeakin
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
There's a pair of plastic rings that help hold the shifter linkage tight. On or both of them might be broken. Can you move the shift selector slightly without actually changing gears?

benzfan
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
The other possibility is that the heat shield around the tranny has shrunk over time. This reduces the clearance between it and the front rubber coupling to the driveshaft. Contact can easily occur. Next time your car is up on a hoist, look at the front coupling to see if it has been 'polished' on the outside. This will indicate contact. Look at your transmission mount while it is up there. Play due to a worn mount can allow that contact, particularly in corners, and oddly enough, mostly in left hand corners.

97C28O
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
There's a pair of plastic rings that help hold the shifter linkage tight. On or both of them might be broken. Can you move the shift selector slightly without actually changing gears?

I actually changed the shifter bushing on them I beleive. However I dont remember changing the one in a very tight area.. I might have to check once the car is up in the air again.

97C28O
04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
The other possibility is that the heat shield around the tranny has shrunk over time. This reduces the clearance between it and the front rubber coupling to the driveshaft. Contact can easily occur. Next time your car is up on a hoist, look at the front coupling to see if it has been 'polished' on the outside. This will indicate contact. Look at your transmission mount while it is up there. Play due to a worn mount can allow that contact, particularly in corners, and oddly enough, mostly in left hand corners.

If you are able to find a under carriage picture, would yo be able to highligh/circle the area you are talking about? i', not quite sure where those places are, I do know th transmisison but having a better highlighted area would be nice.