PDA

View Full Version : custom turbo install

alhacker
10-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Hello everyone,
I am willing to install the following to my 97 C230 running 0.38 ~ 0.42 bar. But my only consideration if I am missing something from the install. This is the following offer I got from a local tuner, so please -/+ feedback the engine has 190K Kms but never was abused and runs great no oil loss at all....

- Garrett T3 .42/.48 Ratio.(refurbished from a late model Volvo)
- Custom fabricated turbo exhaust manifold.
- Stainless steel piping.
- Front mount Intercooler (refurbished from a RX7)
- FMU adjustable and boost sensitive.
- Steel Oil feed and return lines.
- VDO Boost gauge with black face that displays "vacuum/boost" in psi.
- VDO Air/Fuel ratio meter.
- Sport cone air filter.(No name brand can't find K&N Distributor)
- 2 deg. cooler spark plugs.

I also want to ask if crome-ing the engine cover (like turboBenz) the turbo & piping downgrades the system or causes it to overheat???

(Feedback from Koolvin, JasonH, Rascalman, UnderPressure, and CKlasse will be highly appreciated)

alhacker
10-10-2003, 10:18 PM
thanks for the tons of feedback......:D :D :D :D :D

CKlasse
10-11-2003, 12:35 AM
I think everyone is waiting for the pictures to load up.... oh wait.. you forgot to attach them! :D :D :D :D

JasonH
10-13-2003, 10:18 AM
alhacker,

I am glad to see that someone is going to keep the turbo 202 torch burning! :D

Chroming would retain heat & would not be a good choice from my perspective (as would powdercoating). All of my parts are polished not chromed. :)

Just an FYI… it's looking like I will be selling my entire turbo set-up and even my engine with all the polished parts. However, first I have to get it all checked out to ensure everything is okay. So if you have not already purchased all this stuff lets talk, because I might be willing to sell you parts you need.

The FMU you are talking about is only truly safe for lower boost applications. I think UP & Koolvin can attest to this as well. I have a brand new one (VORTEC just rebuilt it cause it went south on me) that I'll sell you real cheap. However, I think you will ultimately find that you will want to run more boost. To do so you will want bigger injectors, or a 5th running on a separate fuel map, or best of all a combination of both.

You will probably want a heat shield to separate your intake (like mine & Koolvin’s), among other things. I found that adding a better exhaust system also helped quite a bit.

Like I said, it looks like I will be parting my car out. I have just about everything you could ever want right down to a custom gauge plate (holds three gauges) in middle of the dash.

Whatever you do, make sure you remove the sound deadening material around the firewall, so you don’t go through what I just did. ;)

Jason

speedybenz
10-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Jason can you email me about your SMT unit. I am interested in buying it from you.

Jeff